Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,851  
did a little chainsaw milling. didn't take as many photos as i should have. don't know what i will do with the cedar but thought i would turn the walnut into lie edged coffee tables and sell them. tractor is my father's DK40. the cab makes it real hard to see the end of the forks

View attachment 595511

View attachment 595512

View attachment 595513

You know, if you let your walnut log season about a year before cutting, the color evens out across sapwood and heartwood, and you get all dark wood. Couldn't believe my eyes the first time I noticed this, but then I read it's typical practice to get more yield. You can also steam the wood to accelerate darkening of the sapwood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,852  
thanks

the work is in the set up. actually time running the saw though the wood varies with how sharp the chain is, but is only about a minute at most with that wood

another of the cedar

View attachment 595616

Have you ever thought about a small bandsaw mill?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,853  
The lumber is all still in the drying stacks and the lumber is flat and straight, I would consider it a huge waste to use it for firewood box building...SR

So what you going to do with beech lumber?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,854  
Oh no, loblolly pine good old southern yellow pine. Great construction lumber! And siding..

That is nice looking lumber, does it smell good when sawing it? I like the smell of white pine but has to be stikked immediately or stains, for me popple is the worst.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,857  
Nice picks thanks for sharing.
You know, if you let your walnut log season about a year before cutting, the color evens out across sapwood and heartwood, and you get all dark wood. Couldn't believe my eyes the first time I noticed this, but then I read it's typical practice to get more yield. You can also steam the wood to accelerate darkening of the sapwood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,858  
That is nice looking lumber, does it smell good when sawing it? I like the smell of white pine but has to be stikked immediately or stains, for me popple is the worst.

It does smell good, you can smell it all over the back yard! Pine is 95 % of what I cut, this place I bought is/was a "tree farm" so its almost all Loblolly pine. There are some hardwoods down in the bottoms, but most hardwoods I get from off sight. And never heard of popple. I like the fact I have mostly this SYP, lots of uses.., and straight for the most part and not a lot of branches.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,859  
There were two potentially good deals on Norse winches in Uncle Henry's today (Maine's place to buy and sell long before Craigslist and other internet listings)

$500 and $1050 for a 450 and 290 respectively. I doubt that they lasted long but still worth the price of a phone call.

Attachments

• Winches.JPG
    Winches.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 100
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #7,860  
It does smell good, you can smell it all over the back yard! Pine is 95 % of what I cut, this place I bought is/was a "tree farm" so its almost all Loblolly pine.

You got to call it a "pine plantation" to fit in with the southern lingo. I have 8 acres and about 6.5 of it is old pine plantation with Loblollys planted about 8-10' apart. Need to thin it and am looking into a sawmill for the bigger trees. It is much nicer wood than I expected. Most people plant Loblolly and harvest it in 15-20 years for pulp. My trees are about 26 years old now.