Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,691  
Re: Big Tree Small Contractor...a risky business

Do you have a video that details your winch setup? If not, would you be willing to do one for us new guys. My place was logged a couple of years before I bought it and the loggers left some good lumber on the ground. I would be very interested in seeing your setup.

Here are a couple of videos about using a logging winch which should give you some idea of what they can do:

From Labonville, a dealer for Norse winches. A basic video showing the use of a winch to get logs out of the woods . They are using a self releasing snatchblock at about 2:10 in the video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGocm7Q9tKQ

Here's a video from a user showing some other useful tips, tricks, and safety hints: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIpJhFK7JI8
Chokers with "C-hooks" are easier to use than the ones he made up with the clevis. I'm not sure I'd trust the snatch block he's using - and I prefer the self-releasing type (more expensive, but a real time-saver). On the other hand he's been at this a lot longer than I have. Some of the tricks he shows can be useful.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,692  
Certainly wouldn't want to burn this, I didn't even want to touch it. If you zoom in, this sucker is COVERED in poison ivy vines.

Attachments

• image-1799298423.jpg
    image-1799298423.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 363
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,693  
Certainly wouldn't want to burn this, I didn't even want to touch it. If you zoom in, this sucker is COVERED in poison ivy vines.

Looks like your forks have seen better days! Lol. Man do I hate poison ivy though.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,694  
Looks like your forks have seen better days! Lol. Man do I hate poison ivy though.

It's an illusion, they're forks I got free from my job, mounted on a carriage from a forklift, and literally just chained into my bucket haha. It flops around a bit but gets the job done until I find time to convert my old loader to SSQA.

Once properly mounted, they're solid. As long as they work well enough so I don't have to touch that tree trunk, I'm happy!

Here's another pic of the mess from that tree loaded onto the forks. No poison ivy on these bits!

Attachments

• image-2799000044.jpg
    image-2799000044.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 270
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,698  
I cut a little pile of wood today. IMG_0330.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,699  
A few chunks of walnut getting ready to go on the trailer

loaded.jpg

Heading up the hill out to the road.

uphill.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,700