Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,001  
There is a good You Tube video where a guy tests a gas and electric saw on Stihl chaps.

I wish I could post it but my phone is not cooperating.

The chaps stop the electric fast. It also stops the gas. Both bind up and quit working.

The gas saw sounds snd moves much faster and is 10x more scary when he hits the chaps.

MoKelly
This one? youtube video chainsaw chaps and electric saw - Bing video (Gas is on another video.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,002  

Attachments

• AF202476-7149-486A-BF24-CF921089F937.jpeg
    AF202476-7149-486A-BF24-CF921089F937.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 92
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,003  

There also are a few others with similar results. I've always gone with the common lore, but it appears that chaps perform better than reported.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,005  
Nope - Sorry.
Here is a screen shot of the one I saw.
Thats Mike from Outdoors with the Morgans, or OWTM here on TBN, a very controversial member, some appreciate his hard working nature, others have issues with him getting "loaner" equipment to review and create web content with, which in turn makes him money on youtube.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,006  
Whether or not they work on an electric saw, chaps are designed to be the last line of defense. Be diligent, and put the saw down if you feel you are getting tired; even if you are "almost done." I once cut a pair of chaps almost in two with a Partner 5000; they didn't slow the chain a bit. I had worked late at my weekend job the night before, and was so tired that on my 4 hour ride I was falling asleep on my Yamaha Maxim. That should have been my clue to leave the saw in the truck, and releive the guy who was stump treating that day.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,007  

Molalla1 you're right I don't cut much compared to some, about 2 cords plus pruning and some storm cleanup. When you get up towards 80 (I'm 79) ,pulling a trigger sure beats pulling a rope. I used to do a lot more but that is another story.

As far as the chaps go, I wear them when falling and working in brush but on the one video I saw the guy didn't let up on the trigger. With a battery powered saw you lit off the trigger the chain stops within 3-4 inches and if the saw is not where I want it I let off the trigger and it stops. I've been using chainsaws for almost 70 years and have not been cut by one yet, KOW. Limbs, trees, bugs, BEES etc. have got me but not a chainsaw.
Joe

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,008  
Yes, but unlike a gas saw, an electric motor has high torque even at low speeds and will keep trying to pull, as long as the trigger is depressed, even if the motion completely stalls out (unlike a gas saw where the engine stalls once you stop it from moving, and the pulling is all over).

If you check with most chap manufacturers, you will find that many of their chaps are not certified for use with an electric saw. There are some that are certified for elect saws, but you have to hunt for them (at least around here).

So you’re telling me it has more torque then say my 500i or my cs1201 echo or 395 Husky? Reason I ask is I’ve never see more then a top handled sized battery saw for a good reason the tech isn’t there to pull the bar length without a huge weight penalty. As far as chaps go have you ever through maybe they’re trying to sell you another product? Are most of these electric saw using a clutch or are they direct drive?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,009  
Thats Mike from Outdoors with the Morgans, or OWTM here on TBN, a very controversial member, some appreciate his hard working nature, others have issues with him getting "loaner" equipment to review and create web content with, which in turn makes him money on youtube.
Seems most guys making you tube videos doing comparisons or whatever are getting a kickback to do them, why else would they do them? Just got to take them with a grain of salt and make your own determinations. Heck I wish someone would pay me to do that kind of stuff! But my internet here sucks, last time I uploaded a 2 1/2 minute video to youtube it took 58 hours to upload.. yes I said 58 hours!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,010  
Seems most guys making you tube videos doing comparisons or whatever are getting a kickback to do them, why else would they do them? Just got to take them with a grain of salt and make your own determinations. Heck I wish someone would pay me to do that kind of stuff! But my internet here sucks, last time I uploaded a 2 1/2 minute video to youtube it took 58 hours to upload.. yes I said 58 hours!
I hope that you enjoyed watching it!