Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,151  
Cottonwood - heavy, slimy and hard to handle when green, weighs nothing and burns in a flash when dry. When the tree is alive, it drops lots of "fluff" and plugs air conditioners, radiators, drains and anything else it can get into. Absolutely the most worthless tree in existence. (Just my opinion)
All true, but it does make some nice furniture when it's dry...

Would I put one on my BSM? sure, but I would only use it for certain things.

I knew a guy that had one wall in his house, covered with ship lapped cottonwood boards, it sure looked nice...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,152  
Cottonwood - heavy, slimy and hard to handle when green, weighs nothing and burns in a flash when dry. When the tree is alive, it drops lots of "fluff" and plugs air conditioners, radiators, drains and anything else it can get into. Absolutely the most worthless tree in existence. (Just my opinion)
More worthless than sweetgum?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,153  
Alder

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,154  
I've got about 10 nearly 100 year old cottonwoods. Not looking forward to the day they start to go.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,155  
That about sums them up. Unless you are SR and can make sewing tables and make the big bucks. As firewood, it is good starter wood, not much good beyond that. You can only use so much starter wood. It is go-fer wood, put it in the stove and "go fer" more.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,156  
That about sums them up. Unless you are SR and can make sewing tables and make the big bucks. As firewood, it is good starter wood, not much good beyond that. You can only use so much starter wood. It is go-fer wood, put it in the stove and "go fer" more.
What do ya mean, it's as good as weeping willow!!! lol lol

BTW, I hear cottonwood is really good for horse stalls too, but I'm not into hay burners, so I never used any for that...

Someone on here can probably comment on it for that use...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,157  
Cottonwood is similar to the poplar we grow here. It grows fast and therefore is weak wood, but it's the main tree which they use to make OSB. It also makes some nice, white interior boards if you can work around the defects from old branch wounds.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,158  
I don't know, I once worked on a room that was all Alder veneer wood, it really did look beautiful when done, but the veneer wasn't the easiest to work with. Was also quite expensive.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,159  
I don't know, I once worked on a room that was all Alder veneer wood, it really did look beautiful when done, but the veneer wasn't the easiest to work with. Was also quite expensive.
We had some cabinets made of alder to match other cabinets and they turned out very well. It is a little soft for cabinets in my opinion and would not be my girst choice if not matching.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #18,160  
Alder here is nothing more than a nuisance Bush growing in ditches, growing up in neglected fields. In general if left alone most alder here has only a 2 to 3 inch diameter. A big alder would be maybe 4-5 inches at the butt. And 8-10 tall. But most is broom stick in size and 8 feet tall. Good for nothing. How big do alder get down there?