Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,871  
The old saying - If your buying logs use the Doyle Scale. If your selling them use the International Scale. All you need is two sticks.

gg
If you’re buying you want scribner the over run is nuts.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,872  
As long as all of the mills are paying on the same log scale it probably doesn't make much of a difference. If you are used to selling on the International 1/4 and sell to a mill using something which favors the buyer more, you are getting screwed unless they also adjust their pay.

Log rules are based on the old 1/4 inch circular saws. As most here know, a band mill has less kerf. The kicker is that the rule discounts for kerf; yet when you buy the finished product you are paying for that sawdust as well as the wood; as well as the shavings from the planing mill. That's why a standard 2x4 is actually 11/2 by 31/2 inches.

What's really interesting is visiting a hi-tech sawmill; the saw cuts in both directions.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,873  
My back and arms can't do the heavy lifting anymore. This makes it easier. I try to split slabs off the main chunk with the log held up by the tong. Then, lower the FEL as the slabs come off.

The tong is a great substitute for a grapple, actually better since I use it during the whole splitting process instead of only lifting.

Attachments

• log splitter.JPG
    log splitter.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,874  
My back and arms can't do the heavy lifting anymore. This makes it easier. I try to split slabs off the main chunk with the log held up by the tong. Then, lower the FEL as the slabs come off.

The tong is a great substitute for a grapple, actually better since I use it during the whole splitting process instead of only lifting.
If I remember right, didn't former member OldPath had a similar idea, except he has a mast sticking up from the middle of the splitter with a cable winch? He runs out the cable, hooks the log then drags it to the splitter, then with the remote he can lower the round as needed. The mast has a pulley at the top for the winch cable, & it rotates so he can pull from any direction. Once in the air he can swing it to the beam. Having the remote in your hand for the winch takes the FEL out of the equation, and less moving around.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,875  
Its been so hot everywhere this summer, I thought I heard Hunt say "You know Colorado wasn't all bad".....
You did NOT hear that from me!!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,876  
So its still 90s and 80s here, I need to take down a few trees for my stock but it will still be a bit before I start.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,877  
Loggers tried our back 40, like I said before. Was actually able to walk across the "swamp" today. We have been dry so it was doable.

IMG_20220814_143001.jpg

One of the pads the loggers put down over the small creek per environmental rules. Water pushed it up. Generally, this area is under 6 foot of water and it's roughly 60 yards wide.

IMG_20220814_143013.jpg

One pad still in place.

Wish they were logging this year.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,879  
Three years ago I cut a small stand of spruce and fir that was imbedded in hardwoods. I left a Red Spruce and three Balsam Fir as possible seed sources for the new opening. I should have known better. One of the fir died and a couple weeks ago the spruce blew over. So I decided to salvage the spruce and put the fir out of their misery as early start to my annual spruce/fir harvest. Here's the spruce after I cleaned up the butt, limbed it, and cut the top off at 6" diameter. That left 52' of usable wood.

22_8_13-1.jpg

The two fir were 50' and 45' before I cut the rot off the butt which turned out to be about 4' on each. They had small tops and well beyond healthy. You can barely see the tops way out there just beyond those two small maples.

22_8_13-2.JPG

Out of the three stems I made a six log hitch. It took me about 20 minutes to winch them out to the trail and put together the hitch. I put my camera on the ROPs and made a video of the winch work. Every year I am a little slower and the cable a little heavier.

Here's the hitch when I got it road side. I will get ten 12'ers out of it and by my measure it will make 305 board feet of lumber.

22_8_13-3.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,880  
If I remember right, didn't former member OldPath had a similar idea, except he has a mast sticking up from the middle of the splitter with a cable winch? He runs out the cable, hooks the log then drags it to the splitter, then with the remote he can lower the round as needed. The mast has a pulley at the top for the winch cable, & it rotates so he can pull from any direction. Once in the air he can swing it to the beam. Having the remote in your hand for the winch takes the FEL out of the equation, and less moving around.
Commercial version is called a gorillabac log splitter lift, fastens onto the end of the splitter. Works reasonably well, picks up rounds that I won't think about anymore. I needed something and just didn't take the time to build it. I have added a bracket to attach to my truck-flatbed, to get heavy stuff in the bed.