Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,171  
0AA08431-C138-4CE8-BBF7-EC359F31287D.jpeg
Some of the blow down I’ve done in the past, one I can think of was higher stacked than this and it’s a good reason for a longer bar. For most of this stuff I seem to remember dragging out a 42 not because of the size, but just for safety of cutting only from one side and being able to be away from the log.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,172  
FYI, the weather has been good the last couple of weeks so I have worked on next years wood. This is what I have cut and skidded to my landing at the top of the hill. My woods is maybe 20% on flat land the remainder on a sidehill. This is all wood from the hillside. It will set there until spring. This is so the rain and snow will wash off a majority of the mud. Then in the spring I will cut / load onto my hay rack with my grapple/ and then take to my garage and split and stack. It is mainly dead ash.

44793.jpeg
44798.jpeg
44801.jpeg
44792.jpeg
20210323_115409_resized.jpg
20160326_162805_001.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,173  
All borer killed ash Oldtimer??

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,174  
The 450 is operational again 1 month later, after a lot of running around, 2 remanned starters and some struggles with the starter mounting bolts.
I brought it back to the homestead to help get down a large, partially broken at the stump maple tree that is hung up in its neighbors arms.
I rode my ebike up to the landing to get the dozer and found it had a bike rack to haul it home on.:D
Forgot the pic, here it is.

Attachments

• dozer.jpeg
    dozer.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,175  
A wind storm we had a while back uprooted three white pine. Yesterday afternoon I started to salvage what I could from them. The easy one first. The smallest too, and the root ball right next a tractor trail.

View attachment 769078

I cleaned out a spot to work in and assess what to do.

View attachment 769080

The top was laying pretty much flat on the ground and looked stable with no forces on it from big branches under it or sticking out that might make it want to roll. And it was not pushing against other trees causing a bind. So I decided to cut the butt first and not have to deal with a heavy log falling at my feet if I cut the top first. It looked like the root ball wanted to lay back down where it came from.

I started with a cut straight down around 1/2 the diameter deep. At the bottom I started a short up cut the full diameter. I drove home 2 wedges on this side.

View attachment 769082

I added another wedge in the bottom cut I made on the other side.

View attachment 769083

I started the final cut from the top down trying to sense any movement. I started to feel slight pressure on the bar so drove in another wedge.

View attachment 769084

Then finished the cut. To my surprise the root ball stayed put. That's the thing - you never know what will happen. The butt moved towards me a little and down but stayed up off the ground. You can see the two cuts.

View attachment 769085

I cut the top just below a weevil bend and fork. 20" at that cut.

View attachment 769087

Set up a snatch block to get it across the trail.

View attachment 769088

Pulled it out and then to the tractor straightened out in the trail.

View attachment 769089

View attachment 769090

Just under 16' so it will make a nice 14'er. The rest of the tree is pallet wood and pulp which no body local to me wants. That's why I don't cut pine on my lot - it seems so wasteful.

gg
I always admire how you work Gordon.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,176  
^^^^ I pay attention to Gordon, Sawyer Rob, Jstpssng...well, actually to most of the guys posting on this thread!!!

Haven't heard from Mr. Hunt in a while though....

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,177  
Gordon, yes all ash borer killed.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,178  
^^^^ I pay attention to Gordon, Sawyer Rob, Jstpssng...well, actually to most of the guys posting on this thread!!!

Haven't heard from Mr. Hunt in a while though....
There are a number of talented and knowledgeable people posting on this thread.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,179  
Can I ask why most of you are using a conventional face with a tall stump?