Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,211  
If it was me looking at it I’d be tempted to face it up and a small back cut, then have at it with something bigger maybe domino all three at once.
Yeah, but you do it for a living and know what you are doing... I do not so much. And as Harry Calahan says , a man has got to know his limitations! ;)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,212  
So I found this guy the other day, not sure what to do with it. The top is hung up in a neighboring tree and I cant cut that one down without this one coming down on top of me! Its way back in the woods and I may just let nature take its course, I also thought about packing the split with a couple bottles of tannerite and having a go at it!!
No decision yet.
View attachment 769706

View attachment 769707
The trouble with these guys is, you never really know how bad the slit is inside and exactly when its gonna go when you're cutting it. Yes you can take precautions, but if the middle is mush, she'll wanna go sooner than you think, since there's less solid meat in there to hold it together. I think I'd do something like Skeans said, and drop a bigger tree on it after making some test cuts, but I really like the tannerite idea!! Does your drone hover by itself? You could set that up in the air along with your ground filming for the full effect!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,213  
The trouble with these guys is, you never really know how bad the slit is inside and exactly when its gonna go when you're cutting it. Yes you can take precautions, but if the middle is mush, she'll wanna go sooner than you think, since there's less solid meat in there to hold it together. I think I'd do something like Skeans said, and drop a bigger tree on it after making some test cuts, but I really like the tannerite idea!! Does your drone hover by itself? You could set that up in the air along with your ground filming for the full effect!
Yes indeed my drone will hover by itself, using it never crossed my mind but does sound like a good idea! I would hate for some hunk of tree to take it out though but I will definitely look into doing that If I go the tannerite method.
The bottom of this tree below the split is pretty rotted which I'm sure is why it split in the first place and which also scares me.. who knows what it will do if I start cutting on it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,214  
So I found this guy the other day, not sure what to do with it. The top is hung up in a neighboring tree and I cant cut that one down without this one coming down on top of me! Its way back in the woods and I may just let nature take its course, I also thought about packing the split with a couple bottles of tannerite and having a go at it!!
No decision yet.
View attachment 769706

View attachment 769707
That one does not look like much fun. Hard to say what I might try without being there to see it in person. A lot would depend on exactly how the top is tangled up in the tree it's hung in.

You do have a lot more options, since it's obviously not going to be a saw log.

I tend not to go for the domino felling method. Since a lot of my work is thinning, the big tree that might be in a position to knock it down is most likely one of my "crop trees" that I want to leave behind

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,215  
No decision yet.
View attachment 769706

View attachment 769707
All I can tell you is how we used to do it and hesitate w even that cuz I'm not there and things are always different.
We'd cut out the split a couple feet to expose the holding part.
We'd make two slits on either side of the holding leaving about 2" after making a face cut and cut it as if we wanted to fall to the side at right angles to the split.
We'd hook up the 14 ton (or the 20 ton if with the big skidder) and hook it up at the bottom so the tree rotates toward the split. Let out enough line and cinch her up.
Tree comes along whether it wanted to or not.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,216  
If I were going to try that, I think I would first put some chain around it to prevent it from coming apart more.
Maybe a ratchet strap to draw it back together some.
Then, working alone, I would put some tension on it going the way I want it to go with my winch.
Start cutting below everything a little at a time (adjusting the winch as I go) until it breaks free.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,217  
All I can tell you is how we used to do it and hesitate w even that cuz I'm not there and things are always different.
We'd cut out the split a couple feet to expose the holding part.
We'd make two slits on either side of the holding leaving about 2" after making a face cut and cut it as if we wanted to fall to the side at right angles to the split.
We'd hook up the 14 ton (or the 20 ton if with the big skidder) and hook it up at the bottom so the tree rotates toward the split. Let out enough line and cinch her up.
Tree comes along whether it wanted to or not.
Well if I had a winch, maybe... but I do not

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,218  
If I were going to try that, I think I would first put some chain around it to prevent it from coming apart more.
Maybe a ratchet strap to draw it back together some.
Then, working alone, I would put some tension on it going the way I want it to go with my winch.
Start cutting below everything a little at a time (adjusting the winch as I go) until it breaks free.
Again, no winch here.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,219  
Maybe a hint of "tannerite" well placed might work for you . . . :cool: .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,220  
Maybe a hint of "tannerite" well placed might work for you . . . :cool: .
A hint??? I do more than that just playing around! A 1.75 liter plastic fireball bottle has a nice report!! :D I was thinking probably 2 of those in that split would work.