Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,061  
I understand what you are saying. I have one of the first chains I made up from 5/16 inch chain from "Mardens" discount store... it was low grade and the links look like pretzels. The 1/4 chain I have came with my winch, and is grade 70.

Someone used to sell chains with loops rather than the modified "C" hook. They were more of a pain to hook up yet seemed to hold smaller wood better.
I don't have any and have been unable to find them. I do have some loops from my father's barn which might work, but I am not sure I trust them. Bending is one thing yet if they turn out to be brittle that may send steel flying.
Can I ask why use chain vs cable chokers? I’ve never used chain chokers it’s always been cable normally at least 1/2” but this is with bigger machines and we’re pushing under the large fir on bad ground.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,062  
Can I ask why use chain vs cable chokers? I’ve never used chain chokers it’s always been cable normally at least 1/2” but this is with bigger machines and we’re pushing under the large fir on bad ground.

In my case I use chain rather than cable chokers because I need to get the all the logs in a hitch up close to the lower pulley on my winch. The chain and a keyhole slider make for an adjustable choker tail length. To my knowledge you can't do that with cable chokers. I would need to carry a whole bunch of different cable lengths.

20_11_22-5.JPG

20_3_5.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,063  
We don't have the tall arc the way that you do on s skidder. With a chain we can hook whatever length we want into the cabke to get the log off the ground,

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,064  
Haven’t looked through the whole thread (2200+ pages!) but, from the thread title I would expect at least one pic of an overly excitable guy with a “pup-tent” as his new tractor is being delivered…:oops:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,065  
Let me guess, those stump chairs are the best looking part of Colorado?
OH, and here we go again!! :) And no they re not the best looking part of colorado , the best part is the sign stating you are entering a different state.. or the exit sign!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,068  
Split some evaporator wood this morning for the maple syrup operation

Attachments

• Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 71
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,069  
How to feel like a cad... I dropped this treeTree.jpeg a couple of months ago, planning to drag it out on the snow so that it wouldn't get dirty and dull my blades when I saw it. Time got in the way... Yesterday I had the Echo out so went up to limb and buck the tree. As I worked down the tree there was a rather distressed ruffed grouse hanging around. "Great, maybe there will be some birds for Ruger to chase this fall, for what may be his last hunting season.

I limbed it, then went down and bucked the stem to length. When I shut the saw off the bird was crying; something I have never seen before. Her nest must have been under the tree which makes sense, as it was the perfect place with the trunk overhead and limbs to hide it.

Until some clod came through with a chainsaw, cut the limbs off and sent the trunk to the ground. I probably stomped the nest into the ground while doing so.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,070  
How to feel like a cad... I dropped this treeView attachment 804117 a couple of months ago, planning to drag it out on the snow so that it wouldn't get dirty and dull my blades when I saw it. Time got in the way... Yesterday I had the Echo out so went up to limb and buck the tree. As I worked down the tree there was a rather distressed ruffed grouse hanging around. "Great, maybe there will be some birds for Ruger to chase this fall, for what may be his last hunting season.

I limbed it, then went down and bucked the stem to length. When I shut the saw off the bird was crying; something I have never seen before. Her nest must have been under the tree which makes sense, as it was the perfect place with the trunk overhead and limbs to hide it.

Until some clod came through with a chainsaw, cut the limbs off and sent the trunk to the ground. I probably stomped the nest into the ground while doing so.