Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,211  
I was waiting for a rainy day to split some wood in my woodshed. That sun canopy on the tractor works good for rain also.
DA87C21A-7EEF-4C43-8A97-C77B6D0DB98B.jpeg

The woodshed has a capacity of 24 face cords. We use an average of 6 face cords, to heat our well-insulated 2000 sq ft house thru the winter. I’ve got about a face cord and a half left to split in there, and if will be half full.
0DF42EC3-D466-4659-B74E-A280FC184BE1.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,212  
I believe that I mentioned recently about a former coworker who was stung in the eye after spotting a hollow tree which had a hornet’s nest in it. It’s much better to err on the side of caution.
I was stung right above the eye one time which was when I learned that I was allergic. When I noticed the throat starting to constrict, I called the ER and asked if I could come in. They told me to hang up and dial 911. I asked my wife to drive me there, I was not going to ride in an ambulance for a silly bee sting. About halfway there I told her to run the red lights! When we got there, they asked me how many stings, I wheezed "one". They grabbed me by the elbow and drug me to a room and slapped an IV in my arm as quick as they could. Now I know to carry two EpiPens.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,213  
One of my jobs today, was sorting through some logs I have looking for a low-grade log to make some 2x4's out of, once I found one, I set it on my BSM,

Resized-20230816-125112-S.jpg

Low grade logs are great for turning into construction lumber, but that's a job for another day!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,214  
I knew a woman who worked in a restaurant, and they never did any maintenance, at least not correctly! So one day she decided to paint the restaurant kitchen ceiling instead of actually cleaning it. So she starts painting right over the grease and the grime, meanwhile her husband is cooking on the giant range right there. The edge of the roller pokes a hole into the ceiling through the sheetrock paper and some wasps/yellowjackets come out of the hole and start flying around. She ends up getting stung, and they believe she's allergic, so they call 911. The paramedics come and they rush her to the hospital by ambulance, somewhere along this, either the medics or the ER staff give her the injection. She then has an extremely bad allergic reaction to the injection, and passes away a couple days later.
The wasps/yellowjackets had found their way in past the exterior siding, and hollowed out an entire floor joist bay for over 5 feet, harvesting the sheetrock gypsum all the way down to the paper backing. The entire 5 foot nest was right up against the paper. They had to shut down the kitchen and the exterminator and contractor had to open up the ceiling to spray all the wasps, and scrape the gigantic nest out. They left it open a few days to get all the stragglers, then started the repairs. It was a huge colony!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,215  
You guys are getting scary now. My wife taught 3rd grade back in the day and she carried 2 epi-pens with her all the time.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,216  
Does anyone know of a rule of thumb estimate for number of board feet in a cord? Talking 10 inch average diameter of spruce. I realize it would be a crude estimate given the number of unknown variables. But it would help anyway.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,217  
Does anyone know of a rule of thumb estimate for number of board feet in a cord? Talking 10 inch average diameter of spruce. I realize it would be a crude estimate given the number of unknown variables. But it would help anyway.
1 board foot is 144 cubic inches or 1/12 of a cubic foot; a cubic foot has 12 board feet.

Estimate the volume you'd be keeping from the 10" diameter, say 7x7 if you're lucky (the largest square you can put inside a 10" circle has a side of 7.07" so this doesn't give much slop at all) so that's a reduction from the 10" circle which has an area of 78.54 square inches to the 7x7's area of 49 square inches, or about 62% lumber from original volume.

One cord is 128 cubic feet, figure stacked nicely that's maybe reduced by 10%, so you have say 115 cubic feet of wood.
62% of 128 is about 79 cubic feet after having cut down to the 7x7.

79 cubic feet times 12 board feet per cubic foot = 948 board feet.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,218  
ning's estimate seems to be a good theoretical one but the practical rule of thumb I see in the loggers hand book and agrees with the work I do is that it takes about 2 cord to make 1000 BF using the 1/4" international log scale. Which takes into account the kerf losses and average losses due to unseen defects inside the log.

The picture of my truck in post 22,207 has 510 BF International.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,219  
One cord is 128 cubic feet, figure stacked nicely that's maybe reduced by 10%, so you have say 115 cubic feet of wood.
Rule of thumb is that there’s 85 cubic feet of hardwood in a cord, or 96 cubic feet of softwood. As GG said above we usually use 2 cords per 1000 mbf.

There have been many studies to determine the volume; lay the wood out, measure diameter every 4-8 feet, cut the logs, measure diameter inside the bark at top and bottom, then move up the tree. There is a lot of money involved in processing wood, once you move beyond firewood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,220  
All small wood up here now. Never was big by majority. But most good stands were logged long ago. For firewood, you could be cutting 12” wood to 4”. I cut wood for a living before I went to college. If you cut 3 cord a day that last summer, you were doing good. There was one fellow could cut twice that and it was almost unreal. You worked like a dog all summer to cut 150 cord. 8 foot wood for the mills. Later they only used harvesters and most had to move away. I worked several years on the harvestor processor later.