Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,412  
These aren't any guarantee for sideways stability on uneven iced terrain.
They are mostly for back and forward traction.
The ice cleat? I have them on my harvester tracks they really don’t let you slide sideways, it’s not like a single bar grouser it’s much less surface area to try and dig into the ice.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,413  
The ice cleat? I have them on my harvester tracks they really don’t let you slide sideways, it’s not like a single bar grouser it’s much less surface area to try and dig into the ice.
I don't know what a tracked harvester uses as track configuration. I do know a tracked harvester is articulated and with two set points which allows it to adjust better to terrain.
A stupid bulldozer is all one piece and adjusts poorly on uneven iced terrain.
Trust me, you do not want to be on an iced and slushed side hill with a dozer cleats or not.
Two welded half inch thick pieces of metal on a grouser is not going to stop a 20,000 lb dozer from going sideways once it starts to slide.
The dozer my boss rented was set up for winter logging and it still went sideways.
There are a lot of deciduous trees in the North East and the leaves that fall to the ground act like sponge supports for a dozer.
You can't get a cleat far enough into solid ground as a result because a dozer is really exerting minimal poundage of ground contact.. Add ice and snow to the picture on top of this stuff and as it gets past 32* in temperature, you have what acts like ball bearings.
The dozer, as a piece of winter logging equipment was an experiment on my companies part that failed miserably on several fronts.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,414  
Thanks for the comments all ! For me having tractor roads in the woods makes all the difference in being able to work in and get around in my wood lot. I keep the tractor on the roads and out of the slash so the lack of a belly pan and forestry tires are not issues so much and I can access wood in large hilly terrain areas much more safely.

Arrow, I remember well, and am still puckered, from the first and only time I tried to scarify our road with the dozer tracks after a bad ice storm.

gg
Gordon, great pictures and story! I'd love to have a little dozer but I'm afraid of the trouble I would surely get into with it! When we bought this place I had a couple openings clearcut in the woods and a road running all the way round the place by a big local logging company (big business here) so I have tractor access to most of the place. I only cut enough trees for firewood and lumber for myself and I mostly just work around the outsides of these little clearcuts and it all works for me. I do love watching your adventures however. Very nice looking woods by the way!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,415  
So, had a couple hrs free the past few days & we have been working on a cut & spilt area... trying to have something close to the house but not have the mess in the yard. Created a drive thru area where we can bring the logs, cut to length, & split without making a mess in the yard & still being close to the house.

2023-10-10 13.48.46.jpg

And had some time to finally pull some weathered downed red oak that has been down for a couple of years (thankfully not resting on the ground)... 2023-10-11 16.24.33.jpg

Off to the Shed...

2023-10-10 13.27.31.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,417  
I saw this on a local CG add:

**LOOSE FILL ONLY to TOP OF STANDARD BED RAIL (not to exceed 22.5"H). NO STACKING WOOD - Wood will be tossed into your truck or trailer bed, ONLY.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,418  
I saw this on a local CG add:

**LOOSE FILL ONLY to TOP OF STANDARD BED RAIL (not to exceed 22.5"H). NO STACKING WOOD - Wood will be tossed into your truck or trailer bed, ONLY.

How are they selling it - by the cord from pre stacked piles on the ground and that is just their loading method or by the truck load w/o a size stated ????

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,419  
How are they selling it - by the cord from pre stacked piles on the ground and that is just their loading method or by the truck load w/o a size stated ????

gg
In some states, selling by any other measure than by the cord (e.g. "pickup truck load" or "pile") is illegal. Though if it's between a willing seller and a willing buyer, I'm not sure who would lodge a complaint that would kick off enforcement action (assuming that the volume has not been misrepresented.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,420  
In Illinois there is no standard measurement requirement, or if there is, it’s completely ignored.