Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,551  
I also like the IBC totes for firewood. Once they are filled with split wood, I'm done handling them by hand until time to burn the wood. I can stack the totes 2 high (I can do 3 high if I run out of space, but don't really like doing it) in my equipment shed. Then when it's time to bring wood to the house, I'm fortunate enough to be able to bring the entire IBC tote (and tractor) into my garage (attached to the house) and set it there and just pull wood out of the tote when I need to fill the wood box in the house (next to the stove). The tote in the garage sits there until empty, and then I swap it out with a full one as needed from the shed with my tractor and forks.
Those totes are hard to find around my area. If they have them they want big money for them.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,552  
Those totes are hard to find around my area. If they have them they want big money for them.
Just picked up 12 for $30 each, but had to drive a couple of hrs to get them. Came from a repackaging plant, had some sort of plastic resin, the first batch I got had some sort of asphalt chemical.
Now I just need to figure out how to keep track of how fast I'm burning wood now that I have a reasonably accurate way to measure it. Took a tandem dump truck load to fill 8 totes, split and stacked, not tossed.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,553  
Here too. I just have to watch the classifieds and be prepared to pounce on them if they come up in my area for reasonable money. I don't pay more than $20 each, and hopefully find some for free (occasionally).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,554  
Been a busy past few weekends, but finally all the wood that needed to be split for the coming spring heating season. Aunt and Grandma do a lot of the upkeep for the 100 year old cabin, so I like to take the one backbreaking chore away from them.
20231104_131158.jpg

Last weekend: Friend had three big white pines that needed to come down. 500i and a grapple on his skidsteer made quick work of them. Made me look at pricing for a 3rd function on my tractor and a grapple...4k total. Decisions, decisions...
20231027_135614.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,555  
. Made me look at pricing for a 3rd function on my tractor and a grapple...4k total. Decisions, decisions
If you do a lot of wood it's an invaluable tool. If given a choice I would go with the third function as you say, rather than a diverter valve. (I have the latter.)

TBN member Sawyer Rob advocates for a grapple on your forks, rather than as a separate unit. I'm just throwing that out as he puts up a LOT of wood, and it seems to work well for him.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,556  
If you do a lot of wood it's an invaluable tool. If given a choice I would go with the third function as you say, rather than a diverter valve. (I have the latter.)

TBN member Sawyer Rob advocates for a grapple on your forks, rather than as a separate unit. I'm just throwing that out as he puts up a LOT of wood, and it seems to work well for him.
Fwiw I also have a diverter and am confident I prefer it over a 3rd function. Was way cheaper for me, too.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,557  
A big thunderstorm went through this morning, but it didn't last long, it then was REALLY nice this afternoon, so I went to the mill to build another half cord firewood box,

Resized-20231106-150936-S.jpg

As you can see, my pile of lumber is about gone,

Resized-20231106-153312-S.jpg

Looks like it's about time to load a log on the BSM and replenish it!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,558  
Just picked up 12 for $30 each, but had to drive a couple of hrs to get them. Came from a repackaging plant, had some sort of plastic resin, the first batch I got had some sort of asphalt chemical.
Now I just need to figure out how to keep track of how fast I'm burning wood now that I have a reasonably accurate way to measure it. Took a tandem dump truck load to fill 8 totes, split and stacked, not tossed.
I guess I need to keep my eyes open better. I read that a tote will hold 1/3 of a cord? Not sure about that. If that is accurate then then I figure I would need 21 of them to satisfy my needs. I get a logging truck load and it usually 7-8 cord of wood stacked tight. Be so much easier to fill the totes , roll up to them with the forks and bring into the garage. That would eliminate 3 steps in handling the wood. Stacking slpits off trailer, loading back in bucket to bring to garage then unloading in garage. Geesh now I think about it , it save me some much time :(

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,559  
Been a busy past few weekends, but finally all the wood that needed to be split for the coming spring heating season. Aunt and Grandma do a lot of the upkeep for the 100 year old cabin, so I like to take the one backbreaking chore away from them.
View attachment 830679

Last weekend: Friend had three big white pines that needed to come down. 500i and a grapple on his skidsteer made quick work of them. Made me look at pricing for a 3rd function on my tractor and a grapple...4k total. Decisions, decisions...
View attachment 830681
You can add the 3rd function then add a thumb to the bucket, I did that for many years. Bought new tractor and added the grapple into the price because of the 0% interest. Sometimes I miss the thumb on my bucket

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,560  
I did the calculations on what fits in my totes and it was 0.27 of a cord. So a little more than 1/4 but less than 1/3. A very nice way to move wood around, and a good way to sell portions of a cord if you so wish. I've paid $20 for some near me and also found a few for free. They also make a nice basic carry all or a man lift/platform for the FEL.