Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,561  
I did the calculations on what fits in my totes and it was 0.27 of a cord. So a little more than 1/4 but less than 1/3. A very nice way to move wood around, and a good way to sell portions of a cord if you so wish. I've paid $20 for some near me and also found a few for free. They also make a nice basic carry all or a man lift/platform for the FEL.
Just did a search and they seem to be going for 40 to 50 around here. I will on be on the look out now

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,562  
I did the calculations on what fits in my totes and it was 0.27 of a cord. So a little more than 1/4 but less than 1/3. A very nice way to move wood around, and a good way to sell portions of a cord if you so wish. I've paid $20 for some near me and also found a few for free. They also make a nice basic carry all or a man lift/platform for the FEL.
That's funny, my math says 0.4 cord. (Qty to fill my woodshed, then the math on the volume of my woodshed).
I heap them up though.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,565  
Maybe not. I use mostly the smaller ones, only have a couple of the larger 330 ones. Measured the area the wood occupies, not the size of the tote. I get two rows of 16" in there with some stuff tossed in the middle and I don't heap them up. I've never tried stacking a cord and then seeing how many totes it fills, but the pile that fills four totes, looks to be about a cord. I'm sure there are various opinions. If I do trade/sell any its no more than a cord a year to friends or work acquaintance. So Im okay feeling a little generous if that's what it is. My wood cutting is primarily for personal consumption and I use the totes more for moving wood around and storing what doesn't fit in the stacks I think I will need to get through winter. My preference is to build what is called a holzhausen near the back porch.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,566  
That's funny, my math says 0.4 cord. (Qty to fill my woodshed, then the math on the volume of my woodshed).
I heap them up though.
I don't know how big they are, but it's not big enough.

I got some for free, but I like the boxes I build a thousand times better.

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,567  
I don't know how big they are, but it's not big enough.

I got some for free, but I like the boxes I build a thousand times better.

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

SR
My tractor doesn't have the a$$ to pick up your boxes. Nor do I have a "free" source of wood.

Takes me an hour to split one full.

Works well for me...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,568  
My tractor doesn't have the a$$ to pick up your boxes. Nor do I have a "free" source of wood.

Takes me an hour to split one full.

Works well for me...
I would just build them a little smaller, as for cost, guys are paying as much or more to get those baskets than the wood cost to build a better one.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,569  
I agree with aeblank. Tractor is not big enough and I just don't have the time to build the boxes. I can have the tote cut to what I want in 10-15 minutes, the wood has a cover since I don't have a shed. I'll know in 5-10 years how long the totes last, but I think it would be longer than a wooden box that I built. I'll probably change something, but right now it is a lot better than what I was doing. But it is great to see how others do things, learn something from all the ideas.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,570  
I agree with aeblank. Tractor is not big enough and I just don't have the time to build the boxes. I can have the tote cut to what I want in 10-15 minutes, the wood has a cover since I don't have a shed. I'll know in 5-10 years how long the totes last, but I think it would be longer than a wooden box that I built. I'll probably change something, but right now it is a lot better than what I was doing. But it is great to see how others do things, learn something from all the ideas.
I'll jump in here about totes: love them, tall 330 I measure as 3/8 cord stacked even with top, shorts at 1/4 cord, cut the plastic tank to make tops, can't lift with fel only the 3 pt, all stored outside.
I go from splitter to tote, tote to house. Haven't found a better way. Oh, totes here go for $25, no free lumber available.