Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,792  
I cut some fire wood today. Some diseased beech, a yellow birch, and a nice apple tree that came down in the heavy snow. We had some nice cold weather this week and where it's dry the ground is finally froze enough so the wood stays clean. A nice change from limbing branchy fir trees. Logs like this make me wish I had a mill. The top was mostly dead and breaking apart so I cut it.

View attachment 840026

gg
That is a really nice set up for skiding logs.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,794  
Came across this picture taken on the locally famous "Golden Road" in Maine that I thought was neat.

image.thumb.png.6d0351ad1ff0dc28878a9c2a62d6f7f8.jpg

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,797  
Ah jeez, looks like I’ll be buying another pickaroon.
I’ve had this Fiskars for about 6 years now and use it every time I do firewood. The tip broke off as you can see, and I found that I hated NOT using the pickaroon. I guess I didn’t realize how much I like it.

I also have a Logrite pickaroon, which I used as my backup, but after being used to the light weight and better ergonomics/grip on the fiskars, I found I MUCH prefer it over the Logrite, and it’s cheaper as a bonus.

IMG_8547.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8225.jpeg

The dump trailer sure isn’t pretty, but it’s darn functional.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,798  
I also have a Logrite pickaroon, which I used as my backup, but after being used to the light weight and better ergonomics/grip on the fiskars, I found I MUCH prefer it over the Logrite, and it’s cheaper as a bonus.
I have one of the older Logrite pickaroons, before they switched to the thinner handle. It's just too darn big for my hand. Some years ago, they downsized the handle diameter a bit. They are much better now, but I don't use it enough to justify buying a new one. (I suspect the Fiskars model is still more ergonomically correct, since the handle has more of an oval cross-section.)

One advantage of the Logrite pickaroon is that they have replaceable tips.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,799  
A buddy of mine reached out on Thursday, asking if the splitter and I were free for a whole day of work this past Saturday. An old boss of his had asked for help getting some wood put up for the winter.

I rarely have plans, and the Rugged made needed a proper workout since I replaced the main hydraulic line. Five of us, including the homeowner, worked all day from about 8am to 3pm. White and Red oak mostly. Next time, I'm going to road my Kubota there as it's only 3 or 4 miles from the homestead and would have been a real help with some of the rounds we handled.

Homeowners were extremely grateful for the help and wood, and fed us an excellent lunch. When all was said and done, the final tally was 3 full cords.

Attachments

• 20231223_093704.jpg
    20231223_093704.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • ATT00001.jpg
    ATT00001.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 109
  • ATT00002.jpg
    ATT00002.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 108