Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #21  
I have gone to several auctions and am looking to see if can steal a bargain on a tractor or heavy equipment, but I was warned to check them thoroughly before buying. But they only allow a brief window before the auction, other than the obvious such as dead battery, what issues should you look for and what are some of the common problems for certain tractors or heavy equipment for that matter as there were lots of wheeled loaders at some of the auctions. And what are some of the better auctions even if it means driving across country as I go over to Texas and out West every now and then.
Your question could be a poster child for the saying "If you must ask how,don't attempt it". The majority of equipment is bought by dealers with enough experience to spot doctored,excessivly worn or other factors that effect value. That experience is usually gained by repairing equipment over time. Do you believe you can tell someone in 25 words or less how to compete in your profession? Of course not,and tractor trading is no different. I've bought and helped a few other people evaluate vintage tractors,trucks and cars being sold at private treaty or auction but I wouldn't feel comfortable competing with dealers at a modern vehicle auction. I've been involved with farming and cattle since I was born but we have occasionally used the services of professional buyers for a breed of bull we don't have alot of experience with. Same has been true for expensive machines like skidsteer,dozer,combine that we haven't used extensivly. If you are investing in a machine you don't trust your judgement on,a professional buyer's commisson is worth every penny.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #22  
Last auction i was involved with was a lot auction. I was selling several lots. The bidding came through and I was pretty happy that well, at least it is done after all the work of putting things together and getting them there. The winners picked up the one item they wanted and walked off. I somehow was still reasonable for the left overs to be picked up and trucked back home. WTF. I'd never seen a lot auction work this way. But it did.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #23  
been to plenty of farm auctions and consumed many styrofoam cups of watered down not so hot hot chocolate as well as day old doughnuts...lol

If I was to buy a tractor especially at any auction, I'd preview it first before the auction and check it over carefully. Things like clean oil and new paint smack of something not kosher.

I tend to buy implements not tractors. Much less complex and easier to see abuse or defects. Last Kubota I bought used was from a JD Dealer and candidly he didn't know what he had plus I went a day early (on a Sunday when he was closed and took my Kubota Keu with me (cause I knew it would fit) and ran it and checked it out carefully. That next morning I was there and drilled him down a bit more and bought it. I knew before hand what it needed so I was getting it for a bargain basement price. I put an additional 5 grand in it but my local Kubota dealer offered me 10 more than I bought it for so the 5 wasn't squat.

I still have it btw. Excellent unit. Not for sale.

I sell stuff but on tractor house and I only sell something when upgrading to a new unit. I always include service records, manuals and make sure whatever I have for sale is 100% field ready and serviced so the buyer can be confident what he bought is in tip top condition. Would be nice if everyone operated that way, sadly they don't. me, I have a conscience, most auction sales people don't. Last item I sold was a New Holland 575 high capacity small square bailer than I had no need for as I quit running small squares. Was 100% field ready and ready to bale. I even had the twine box full and threaded and I got top buck for it. Sold it in 2 days after I listed it and the buyer was in another state and had it trucked to him. Paid cash, seamless transaction.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #24  
I learned to check your purchase again after you bought it before you head for home! I bought, at auction, a Ford 9600. Too big for my trailer and drove it home, about 20 miles. Tractor Supply is half-way home, stopped there for pee break. Found that somebody had pulled the dipstick out and only partially put it back in! Was spewing oil as I drove. Had a puddle to clean up at TSC. Got oil from them, too. Somebody tpold the manager girl there was a tractor outside and she comes out with a camera to get a pic of it in front of the store. Fine, as long as I'm not in it!

Also learned not to buy painted equipment. Bought hay wagons from a guy who claimed that everything was good and that he put new wheel bearing in. Old, crappy mis-matched bearings with nails for cotters. Painted over rotted wood and cracks in some wheels.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #25  
My paramount do not buy rule is anything with a new 5 gallon finish is a no go. Once saw a 4020 for sale at a private residence so I stopped to have a look. Looked good from a distance, closer I got the worse it was. Whoever owned it did even bother to pressure wash it before applying a new coat of JD Green. Painted right over all the old grease. I walked away quickly. 4020's are collectable I realize but not one like that. Reminded me of a fat gal. They look good from a distance but up close are just fat.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #26  
Great advice so far, here's another tip--hopefully a helpful one. If you've been hanging around the auctions for awhile, you've seen the same couple guys who come early, carry clipboards full of notes--or have their faces buried in their phone/tablets--and bid on a LOT of equipment, usually specializing in one type of item, like CUTs, skid-steers, and so on. If they're bidding, they're bidding to flip for a profit. Watch what they've been bidding on and be prepared to go a bit higher if they drop out. They really know if it's a good deal or not.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #27  
You can't depend on digital photographs of an item at auction. You have to see it with your own eyes.

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.
I'll just start by saying that if a tractor is worth $22k on the used market you're not getting it for $11k. Or if you are it's only because you're the biggest sucker, you just haven't figured out exactly why yet. But you will. That's assuming you're planning on using it versus a dealer who only needs to find an even bigger sucker, of which there seems to be an endless supply.

If it's a regular consignment auction the big thing to check is who's bidding on what and how many times that same machine has been at the same auction. That takes months of watching but you'll see it if you pay attention. There's a lot of shady stuff going on at these auctions that's not really illegal but you're up against a bunch of people who literally do it for a living and they know how to work the system to their advantage. Read into that what you will. These auction houses know what they're doing too, and will often make deals for the good equipment behind the scenes so they can sell it on their used lot (or their buddy's lot) which may operate under a different name at a different location. All that is not to say there aren't good machines or good deals to be had, just that you get what you pay for like pretty much everything in life.
Ok, so if it sells for over $50,000 new, would you buy it if it was half that and no issues. I think the answer is pretty self evident..

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying.
You can't depend on digital photographs of an item at auction. You have to see it with your own eyes.
Very true, thats why I am asking, which are some of the better auctions to go look...

/ Tractors from Auctions, what do you check before buying. #30