Snow Blade tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #1  

radios1

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere la145
I just thought I'd put this info out there in case it was never mentioned before. when pushing snow, the front wheels of my tractor would not turn(rotate), but rather just dig deep, and push snow, making the rear wheels with chains dig into the ground, making it very hard to move. putting chains on the front wheels on a 2WD tractor will allow the front wheels to grab, and turn(rotate), so they go OVER the snow..:)

Last edited:
   / tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #2  
Must be a lawn tractor or small front tire thing, never had issue with 2wd front tires not turning in snow. Plowed snow for years with a 2wd with chains.

Had to have front chains on a 4x4 quad, couldn't steer it on ice plowing snow otherwise.

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #4  
What they said.......and I too agree.....using a 2 WD L&G tractor with rear chains.

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade
Must be a lawn tractor or small front tire thing, never had issue with 2wd front tires not turning in snow. Plowed snow for years with a 2wd with chains.

Had to have front chains on a 4x4 quad, couldn't steer it on ice plowing snow otherwise.
Yes, a 2WD lawn tractor with 15" tire diameter front wheels. the wheels don't turn(revolve) in snow over a few inches deep.

Last edited:
   / tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #6  
that is why there are independent brake pedals on tractors!

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #7  
I run chains on all 4 of my 4wd CUT, when the pushing gets hard the front end gets light and its all brake steer after that, esp. if bucket is in float. Not really much better than the 54hp 2wd with ribbed front tires i used to run, brake steer there also.

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #8  
I guess I made no mistake in buying the snow chains for the LA115 even though the snow blower is (*&^%^&*().

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade
I run chains on all 4 of my 4wd CUT, when the pushing gets hard the front end gets light and its all brake steer after that, esp. if bucket is in float. Not really much better than the 54hp 2wd with ribbed front tires i used to run, brake steer there also.
the problem is NOT steering that I had, but, the tires would slip on the snow, and not ROTATE, just stand still.. it was just too slippery to make them rotate..

/ tractors need chains on front wheels when using a snow blade #10  
the problem is NOT steering that I had, but, the tires would slip on the snow, and not ROTATE, just stand still.. it was just too slippery to make them rotate..

Not to sound stupid but how do they spin when you Jack the front wheels off the ground.