Trading in an almost new tractor?

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #21  
Larger doesn't necessarily translate into something more powerful, at least that's what I experienced with my smaller but more robust former John Deere tractor. I mistakenly assumed more hp even on a heavier tractor would end up being more powerful. Unfortunately I was wrong.

If what you’re saying is true something is seriously wrong with the bobcat. It’s rated for twice as much hp as the other tractor and you’re saying it’s weaker.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor?
I am curious as to what model your previous JD was? Also is your Bobcat HTS or gear?
My previous JD tractor - 855. The Bobcat CT2040 is HTS.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #23  
Interesting. You really should have more power with the Bobcat 2040. But definitely sell it instead of trading it in. Good luck!

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #24  
In my experience most Deere dealers don't want to take a non-Deere or non-Kubota in on trade so if you find one who will you may be disappointed in what they'll give you. You can always try selling it yourself but if you don't want that kind of hassle a better option might be to see what the Bobcat dealer will give you for it. I'd guess it would be far better than anything a Deere or Kubota dealer would give.
That is the exact scenario I had on the open station. it was traded in on a Deere and stuck out like a sore thumb in a sea of green on the dealers lot.

I had 2 things in my favor when I bought it. One, JD dealers only deal with green equipment so they didn't have a clue what they had and it was a pre 4 unit and JD don't like larger pre 4 units anyway.

I negotiated a fantastic price 18K, paid cash and had them deliver it to my Kubota dealer (350 miles away), had their head tech (I know him personally), go through the unit entirely and then they delivered it to the farm. That cost me 5 grand, money well spent as my dealer offered me 30 for it. Not for sale at any price. Pre 4 units are getting scarcer that hen's teeth and especially today with a lot of dealers having no tractors to sell. My dealer has a number of sold tractors that cannot be delivered because they don't have the dealer installed parts to complete them.

I'm kind of in the same boat with a new Kubota Premium Net / twine round baler on order. Might get it by Christmas.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #25  
Larger doesn't necessarily translate into something more powerful, at least that's what I experienced with my smaller but more robust former John Deere tractor. I mistakenly assumed more hp even on a heavier tractor would end up being more powerful. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I really think you need to demo some alternative tractors on your property first, before trading and purchasing another.

Mike

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #26  
I looked up the specs of a JD 855 and the specs looks very similar to my JD 2025r. A nice useful tractor but it’s a couple of steps below the Bobcat.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #27  
Does the Bobcat have linked throttle & tranny at the pedal?

It seems that a lot of people don't understand that if you go up a steep hill with that and the tractor slows down, mashing the pedal will not necessarily make the tractor go faster...

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #28  
Does the Bobcat have linked throttle & tranny at the pedal?

It seems that a lot of people don't understand that if you go up a steep hill with that and the tractor slows down, mashing the pedal will not necessarily make the tractor go faster...
This

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #29  
It would appear that you are a good bit smarter that the average bear!
I've got the MX and it's great but.....every once in a while,it's too big.

I've been using it for clearing trees, stumps, rocks, moving orange mud, gravel etc etc. It's a beast!

For the last month i've been grading around my house. Everyone told me it's a job for a landscaper with a skid steer...and experience.

Couldn't find anyone to take the job so, did it myself.

With the BH and 4 in 1 on, that thing is loooooooong! I get as close as i can to the buildings then....break out the rakes and shovels.

I bet i lost 10 lbs the last 2 days.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #30  
I started out 40 years ago ( 1982 ) with a new Ford 1700 4WD. Completed all the smaller projects and in 2009 traded the Ford in and got my Kubota M6040. After 27 years I received more for the Ford than I originally paid for it.