trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I am very impressed with with the Makita, except for its short duty cycle.

After this many cuts, the "I'm warm and shutting down" light comes on. So I got the loppers to fill my time.
P1070326.jpg

Nonetheless, I found if I let its motor run fast and at low stress, it will run longer. This is the crap, I need to clear out. Steel I hit! May have touched it 4 times today and Mr file comes out.
P1070339.jpg

Why do I want to use a small, low power saw here? This tree grew in a notch in some 1" plate,
P1070340.jpg

Last edited:
So I like it but hate its short duty cycle. I ordered another, thinking its overheat circuit might be bad so this unit will be returned. I love that I can saw with one hand and use me other holding back weeds for some visibility. It is really handy and light in weight.
P1070342.jpg
P1070294.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #433  
No overheat ever yet with my Stihl... used it to clear trails where the cut was more than twice bar length.

It just runs until battery peters out and then stops... with battery blinking on one bar...

/ trail clearing technique and tools #434  
What the heck is that area you are cutting? What will happen to all the heavy metal? Sounds like you need a bag full of batteries.

I'm really liking this silly little saw. Here is the conditions I'm working in. The stump is not being removed, just cut off.
P1070381.jpg
P1070384.jpg
P1070383.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #437  
Is the duty cycle better?

Is the duty cycle better?
Its the same saw, so no, but I've learned to work around it. New saw did show up today. I also ordered much larger amp-hour batteries. The saw will shut down in they overheat.

I do have the 2nd saw in the field with me today. Will report on it's performance tonight. Also a new roll of .155 string in use with me today. So far I like I!!

Last edited:
Was running my spool of .155 string out so I picked up another and this time got some Oregon made or sold stuff.
P1070422.jpg

Had some old orange string left over so i could test them side by side. Not much difference but the new green stuff does look longer, in fact after using various strings for 20 some years, just not much difference in it.
P1070421.jpg

This is how the back of a truck looks when clearing brush.. 😁 Big lineman pliers is for cutting string. Ya, we buy it in bulk!
P1070424.jpg

Last edited: