trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
This is a review of the two Makita XCU06Z 18V 10" saws I got for, and been been using at a weld shop clearing job I've been at for the past month. We actually used them to clear a camp site on Sunday but no photos were taken while there. I still used a pole-saw bit but for ground cuts of smaller trees and branches, it works great.

Its about 95% same as a regular saw, so its quite easy for me to use and even has a kick-back stop which I have actuated. Of course it is much, much lighter and smaller and shines at one handed cuts. Oil tank has a sight glass (really plastic) and cap like most saws do and its volume lasts quite long. Chain tension again, like many saws do via flat screwdriver through the cover with a normal saw wrench Makita supplied. Uses standard size 3/8 chains which are readily available and inexpensive.

I got some 9amp hour batteries for it because the saw senses when the battery is being quickly discharged and hot or the saw drive motor. The larger batteries did help but the drive motors heat is more commonly the shut down mode anyway.

I do wish its drive motor was more powerful and not prone to heat shut down... Nonetheless I love these little saws. I'll give them 4 stars but I would have given it 5, if it didn't tend to get hot and shut down. For de-limbing fell trees or working in a brush pile, it just rocks! (please note, I have power at this site and two chargers)

Any questions??? :unsure:(y) :unsure: (y)

P1070376.jpg
P1070314.jpg

P1070534.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #452  
Does it hold chain tension ?
How is it speed wise compared to your pole saw.

Thanks for the review, looks to be a good tool.

Does it hold chain tension ?
How is it speed wise compared to your pole saw.

Thanks for the review, looks to be a good tool.
Well, it holds chians tension as good as any other saw we own. For speed, do you mean the chains speed? Or cutting speed? For limbing, I'd say it's about the same. I do LOVE it's 3/8th chain size and will switch my pole-saw to those when I can. The weak link in this Makita as far cutting capability is it's small motor with it's reduced torque and overheating of it.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #454  
Looking at the photos you posted, are there any ventilation holes in the plastic casing?

I was taking a few pics while clearing shoots an weeds here and seems my camera card failed... Oh well.

We just got the word from our local brp dealership that a new 6x6 is sitting there with our name on it😁

Last edited:
For blowing trails off, we will be getting a BR800 C-E MAGNUM Stihl back-pack blower when they get back out to retail stores.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #460  
For blowing trails off, we will be getting a BR800 C-E MAGNUM Stihl back-pack blower when they get back out to retail stores.
My understanding is that the BR800 is an excellent model. I currently have the BR550 and it has served me well for a number of years. I have been strongly contemplating an upgrade to the BR800. Look forward to hearing how you like yours once you have a chance to try it out. Good luck.