trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Downey fabric softener in the washer seems to repel ticks and chiggers from your clothes.
Or wearing Sawyer SP657 Permethrin treated pants and will report back. We started wearing clothing treated wit this chemical over 10 years ago and it works.

Great talk from the University of Maryland about tick bite prevention. In short permethrin treated clothing works. Deet and dryer sheets do not.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #903  
We need Project Farmer to do a test :)

/ trail clearing technique and tools #904  
I've got a few pieces of clothing that I have treated with permethrin that I have good luck with. If I'm not wearing those and I know that I'm going to be out in the weeds or woods I usually spray deet around the cuffs of my pants legs and around the waist. I also have good luck with that keeping the chiggers and ticks away. But I'm one of the rare breed that bugs don't really pile up on. I tend to get less bites than my friends in the same conditions.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #905  
I don't know about dryer sheets but washing with Downey fabric softener works against chiggers on my property.

Our getting dead-falls off the trail this week while wearing permethrin treated clothing.. No ticks and mosquitoes won't bit you through it. Not me in these pics.
polesaw780.jpg
polesaw82.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #907  
I was spraying for stiltgrass yesterday and did not wear my sprayed boots and pants.
What a mistake, found a tick crawling up my neck. Got it before it got me, but the boots/pants will be worn going forward!

Here is how the maples and ferns grown here in the northern hardwoods. Knocking them back is a full time job! :eek:
brtferns70052.jpg
maples0058.jpg
maples056.jpg
ferns0054.jpg

Last edited:
This week I refinished one of the picnic tables table found on our trails. They've been out there for over 15 years, so this might be there last coating. I hauled all the junk out in our 6x6 and sanded them down, blew and brushed them off, then slopped some stain preservative on them. I'm still wearing a protective brace on my left wrist.
P1070072.jpg
P1070038.jpg
brttable0066.jpg
brttable0074.jpg
P1070031.jpg