Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks?

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
I am having an issue getting this trailer couplers' hinged jaw to move freely. The spring is good but isnt strong enough to push the jaw open. Has anyone had an issue with this style coupler and getting it to move? I had used penetrating oil all over the front of the coupler and on the under side. I then used a rubber mallet to pound it open and closed. I would prefer to not replace the coupler but here is a picture of what it looks like (not mine exactly since I forgot to take a picture while I was outside).
25217_b.jpg

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #2  
A quality penetrating oil (not WD40 or Liquid Wrench) maybe a little heat, open and close it until it loosens up. Might take 20-30 cycles or more.

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #3  
Any signs of damage at the front?
hitch.jpg

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #4  
I found hitch lubrication is regular maintenance... especially if used infrequently and exposed to elements

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks?
No damage to the front end. I've only used wd40 since it was all I had. I'll take a picture of it when I get home. Buying penetrating oil right now.

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #6  
oil it up and smack it hammer. Have had several of those and usually have to smack them all.

/ Trailer Coupler issue, any tips or tricks? #7  
I use a dead blow mallet… gets the job done leaving no mark.

20211127_151728.jpg

20211127_151736.jpg

Just sprayed it with penetrating oil. I've been working it back and forth quite a bit. Maybe 100 times between several days. I'll see how the oil works