Trailer for 4720?

/ Trailer for 4720? #11  
I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I drove about 500 miles to get my trailer. Here is what I bought, except I did not get the dual wheels on each axle EW Trailers My tractor is about the same weight as yours, and obviously I went plenty heavy. Here is an example of a pretty darn stout bumper pull trailer that wouldn't be just way over-kill: 14k bumper pull and it gives you an idea of how much a heavy bumper pull trailer goes for.

I posted the link so you could check out all the different trailer options. This guy sells more trailers in a month than most trailer dealers I've seen sell in a year. I usually have driven to Sikeston, MO and bought directly from one of the manufacturers there. This guy blew them away on price for the same trailers. He definitely sells on volume. Anyway, he has quite a selection of bumper pull trailers all the way up to 20k. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (I didn't know they were made that heavy) Even if buying from him is not even a remote option, at least you can see his prices and how his trailers are built. He does a pretty good job of listing everything about his trailers. For a slightly lighter weight trailer than what I ended up getting, the best I could find anywhere else was about $1200 more in price; so I made the drive. Good luck!

Oops; I almost forgot, half the reason I made this post was to suggest you buy a matching spare tire with whatever you go with. I didn't have the good 10 ply tires on my last trailer, and I ended up changing quite a few tires. After having 2 flats (and not having 2 spares) I quit just using regular pickup tires and now only use tires designed for trailers.

/ Trailer for 4720? #12  
Go for at least a 20' trailer. I use a 20 ft 12,000# bumper pull on my rig - JD 4600, 460 loader and MX6 cutter. I need to curl the bucket just right to get the cutter on the trailer so I can raise the ramps in back. The tail wheel basically sticks off the back of the trailer. I really can't put the tractor forward much more because a jacking post gets in the way of the bucket, and besides, it starts to get a little tongue heavy if I do that anyway.

/ Trailer for 4720? #13  
I have a 12,000lb - 22 ft trailer for my 4720, FEL and MX6. With my 4 in 1 bucket flat on the bed and up against the front bed bar the ramps fit snug against the chain guards on the mower. I have access to a rock quarry truck scale and w/ ballast in on 4 tires it weighs 9100 lbs. You will need a trailer weighted for 6 tons.
I want a goose neck as it is very tongue heavy but I must use balance jacks on the rear when loading the tractor.

/ Trailer for 4720? #14  
MNC, I disagree vehemently with the suggestion that a gooseneck is the way to go. I have both a gooseneck and a 20' heavy duty bumper pull (which is a big misnomer). I also have several ranch vehicles that include K3500 GMC's and K2500 Suburbans and I need versatility when using any of the towing vehicles. Just try towing a gooseneck sometime with a 3/4 ton Suburban or an H2 Hummer!! If you have a 3/4 ton vehicle or greater, bumper pulls work just great. BTW, never use a 2" hitch ball---2-5/16" ball should be the minimum.

/ Trailer for 4720? #15  
I agree with Cheyenne. I use the larger ball and a very heavy duty (solid) hitch with a hardened steel pin. I also use good quality trailer brakes and make sure that the components with which I am towing stand up to the job. It is just scary to see what some tow-ers will put on the road, and I do not want to be one of the ones that do it dangerously. One other thing, in my state of NC one has to have a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000 pounds GTW, so make sure you meet your state criteria. I am studying for the test as we speak, so that I can have my license updated. This is pretty important since you will definitely be towing weight which approaches this limit.

John M

/ Trailer for 4720? #16  
The first trailer my dealer got me with my setup was WAY to small.

I told him to get me something that didn't bow just sitting under the weight of the tractor.

He went a bit to far and got a 15,000 lb trailer, I didn't want a goose/5th so I have a bumper/hitch pull.

I have a 1/2 ton Chevy and have also used a 3/4 dodge and neither is really what I'd call fully adequate.

It is rarely used to go more than 10 miles or so and it 'gets me by'.

It really squishes down both of these trucks unless i park the tractor toward the rear of this 20' dovetail.

When I have the tractor with loader and cutter or tiller on the back it does fill the trailer.. Actually does better with the shredder/tiller or something rear as it helps to balance the trailer.

As far as power I do fine ( flat ground area anyhow ).

If it is no big deal to you to get the goose/5th then I can definitely say that I think that would be better.

Some have said try a load balancer hitch / shifts the leverage on your truck.... I have used them before and they do help.

I also have 2 5/16 balls