Trailer Purchase Decision Advice

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #22  
The last dealer you looked at, Stillwater I think, did those prices include brakes on the axle(s)? I would upgrade to the 5000lb axle. Most likely you'll not need the extra weight rating but for the one time you do you'll have it for not much more money.

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #23  
I would never buy a used trailer. The prices are just not that attractive considering that you would likely need to replace all the tires for safety reasons. Good trailer tires are over $100 each and most used trailer sellers want within $300-400 of new or less. After replacing tires, it isn't that much of a bargain and you have possibility of rotten wood, bearing issues, rust etc.

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #24  
. After replacing tires, it isn't that much of a bargain and you have possibility of rotten wood, bearing issues, rust etc.

your clearly buying at the wrong price if it has rotten wood, tire/brake/bearing issues.

Used trailers are just like used cars. If you know what your looking for, and keep in mind what repairs cost, then you know what price you should be paying for them used.

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #25  
your clearly buying at the wrong price if it has rotten wood, tire/brake/bearing issues.

Used trailers are just like used cars. If you know what your looking for, and keep in mind what repairs cost, then you know what price you should be paying for them used.

Even buying at half price of new its tough to justify. Brakes are $100 per axle, tires are $200 per axle, bearings are $30 per axle, light kit @ $50, wood deck @ $300 average, paint @ $50, misc @ $50....

It makes new look like a bargain 9 times out of 10.

Chris

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #26  
Even buying at half price of new its tough to justify. Brakes are $100 per axle, tires are $200 per axle, bearings are $30 per axle, light kit @ $50, wood deck @ $300 average, paint @ $50, misc @ $50....It makes new look like a bargain 9 times out of 10.

Chris

You are right on. You need to get a really good deal, to make it worthwhile.

I pretty much built my own trailers over the years. The big reason being, that I get the trailer that I want, built the way that I want.
I wouldn't say that I have ever saved money doing so. I probably earn about 10 cents an hr. if you figure what a factory built trailer, the same size costs, compared to my own build.
The factory is buying parts by the carload, and the frames are set up in a jig. Unless you want something special, it's hard to compete with that.

Bill

/ Trailer Purchase Decision Advice #27  
Go with a double axle with brakes. More versatile, better handling, and far better balanced. Better resale some day too. Just my opinion.