Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer?

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #11  
I haul my lawnmower on my 14k trailer. It’s not broken in half yet. Sarcasm aside you’d be a lot better off with a 14k trailer vs hauling at the top end of a 10k trailer.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #12  
I have noticed bouncing with the empty trailers, so I ensure tongue weight is up there even if I don't really need a load.
If you expect to have to deadhead for a ways you might want to try to get some extra weight on the tongue.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #13  
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.
I have a boat trailer with torsion axles, had one fail recently. It is nothing short of disastrous.pushed the wheel up into the wheel well and destroyed the tire. Was close to home so limped on 3 wheels. Load is only 6000 pounds. Just my 2 cents on torsion axles.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #14  
Any trailer that I couldn't pull unloaded without possibly damaging it, I wouldn't own , I would have to inquire some more before I said for 100% sure but I believe he is full of it.
Don't bother asking -- he is full of it. Total nonsense. Being aluminum (I have zero experience with aluminum) I suppose there is wild and rare possibility that very excessive jumping up and down on rough road could damage the connection between the springs and the aluminum frame. Well... if that is the case, and if they ARE that frail, then I'd never buy one. Far more likely the salesman heard half of an old wive's tale and was ignorant enough to believe it and pass it on. No idea why you would prefer the aluminum one anyway but if you do, call the manufacturer and discuss the issue.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #15  
Tilt trailer with torsion axles are nice to hop around with. I clean up hurricanes for FEMA. Down at lake Charles we would back the skid steer off, never put trailer back down, leave it tilted. Drive ahead and cut trees almost in two, skid steer could break them if cut 3/4 through. Then drive ss back on trailer, he stayed on machine, never latched anything, and went to the next grid on our map. Backed machine off and cleared more road. I was in a machine but the drive on one side malfunctioned. So I went to cutting trees.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #16  
Me thinks your salesman is smoking some of that wacky weed.
Any heavy duty empty trailer is going to bounce around a bit.
You can actually improve the unladen ride by lowering the air pressure in the tires.
All tires have an inflation pressure to load capacity chart, some are just harder to find then others.
The comment about improving the unladed ride by lowering the air pressure in the tires is very true! (insert sarcasm smiley)
Running a tire soft enough to make it ride better is a sure way to put the vehicle on the side of the road with blown out tires!
Even if you get lucky enough to not blow a tire while running empty, the damage it does to the tire will show up soon after you load your trailer!
The biggest reason for tire failure is low tire pressure which builds up heat, very quickly!
David from jax

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #17  
The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it.
NonTypicalCPA,

Either your dealer is smoking crack or you got yourself a salesperson who is clueless or their selling chinesium for a product. In any event, I would seriously consider whether I would buy the trailer from that dealer UNLESS the trailer manufacturer had a solid reputation.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #19  
I'm in the trailer market and am going to buy an aluminum 22' with fold up ramps. I'm leading towards a 14k (7+7) over a 10K torsion axle setup. I'll be hauling my Kubota L6060 with loader which is around 5,000lbs plus the additional weight of any implements it might have attached, maybe another 1,000lbs. Or I'll be hauling 2 side by sides that total around 4,000lbs. The dealer is saying I could damage the 14k trailer if I don't carry enough weight on it. I've not heard that before, any thoughts? Should I go with the 10k over the 14k? I like that the 14k has 16", 8 lug wheels.
How about a link to this trailer manufacturer with the actual model number?

Want to see what the manufacturer says on their site.

/ Trailer question - is there too light of a load for a 14k trailer? #20  
The comment about improving the unladed ride by lowering the air pressure in the tires is very true! (insert sarcasm smiley)
Running a tire soft enough to make it ride better is a sure way to put the vehicle on the side of the road with blown out tires!
Even if you get lucky enough to not blow a tire while running empty, the damage it does to the tire will show up soon after you load your trailer!
The biggest reason for tire failure is low tire pressure which builds up heat, very quickly!
David from jax
Try looking up a tire manufactures tire loading pressure chart.