Trailer refurb

/ Trailer refurb
I've used POR-15 and Eastwood products. This video looks like a reasonable comparison and finds the Rustoleum good but not as good as POR-15. Although they find the Rustoleum a "value leader", I usually brush on the rust reformer, so cost isn't as big a deal as it is with spray cans. The Eastwood product and the POR-15 leave very good brushed on surfaces to paint over.

Best Rust Converter? POR-15 vs Rust-Oleum, Eastwood, Rust Reformer
What would be best for final coat. Gloss semi gloss or satin?

/ Trailer refurb #32  
I replace wood floors with 6" C purlin. Never have to do it again. Roll on paint when your done & sprinkle some balst sand over the wet paint for traction. Or bed coating.

Makes a real good long lasting floor.

/ Trailer refurb #33  
Can I use the old holes in the cross member or need to drill new?
Sure if U can figure a way to predrill the wood for accurate alignment and just to be on the safe side for good holding power use self tapping one size bigger.

TIP 4 U
Do as they did in aviation to prevent rusting of tubing,
Pour some oil into any tubing and that it will deter internal rust. It works!
Naturally the tubing ends need to be capped,
On a project (my DIY tractor cab) I simply shaped some wooden plugs and hammered them in after I had added some oil.

Now to trailer floors.
I have a friend that has restored many trailers as a hobby/pastime for pocket money.
He collects old heating oil tanks, cuts the ends off and flattens the cut oval by driving his tractor over a few times and coaxes onto the the trailer frame and welds everything up.
He must have recycled some 30 to date and sells them on the net.
There is a big demand for small utility trailers at affordable prices.
I could not believe how some 'wrecks' could end up as very usable handy trailers.
Naturally a new coat of quickly applied paint helps.

Last edited:
   / Trailer refurb #34  
What would be best for final coat. Gloss semi gloss or satin?

I don't think it really makes a difference. I've used Eastwood Frame Paint which is kind of semi-gloss and Rustoleum Glossy paint and both work well. Whatever look you are happy with.