Trailer refurb

/ Trailer refurb #21  
I'm not sure how you are installing the screws, but when I did my trailer I drilled new holes in the crossmembers when the deck was off. After putting the PT boards on I put stainless screws up through the bottom. Very easy and clean looking.

/ Trailer refurb #22  
I have done this a lot. My advise is to cut off the old bolts with a grinder and use new self tapping trailer decking bolts. This is more expensive but so much easier!

/ Trailer refurb #23  
To be honest, a few years ago I would have told you to look next to the muffler bearings. Who would have guessed this was where we were headed.
The muffler bearings are usually beside the bolt stretcher at my local hardware store. I prefer the ACME brand that Wild E Coyote always bought.

I am sorry KennyG I could not resist. Working in a furniture plant we would send the new employee to find the dowel pin stretcher. The new employee would go to an old timer and ask if he knew where the fictitious tool was; the old timer would say, "Joe had it yesterday". After 30 minutes of this the fellow would come back and let me know we lost the dowel pin stretcher. I went through the same thing decades ago...I think we all have at some point.

/ Trailer refurb #24  
You can drill from bottom up to align hole with smaller bit.
My trailer has channel iron for crossmembers, so drilling up from the bottom is only an option if you don't care if the screw heads are crooked where they come out of the deck. To get the screw head flat it requires installation from the top. You could lay the boards down, mark them from the underside, then flip them to drill, flip them back over and install the screw, but I think it is easier to use 2 drill motors, one with a drill bit and the other with a #50 Torx bit in it. Lay the board down, drill it, drop a self tapping screw into the hole and hit it with the other drill motor, then go onto the next one.
David from jax

/ Trailer refurb #25  
I wouldn't use Phillip's head screws, too eady to strip the head. #50 Torx work better!
Drilling a nrw hole is a lot easier then trying to line up the old holes, and the threads may not start right, and they will strip the threads!
David from jax
I've got some Phillips #3 that fit on 1/2" impact. Used them to screw 2x12 boards three high down both sides of two 500' poultry houses. Screwed into 6" channel iron. But even though those bits are still good, I prefer torx head any type of screw. From deck screws on up.

/ Trailer refurb #26  
My trailer has channel iron for crossmembers, so drilling up from the bottom is only an option if you don't care if the screw heads are crooked where they come out of the deck. To get the screw head flat it requires installation from the top. You could lay the boards down, mark them from the underside, then flip them to drill, flip them back over and install the screw, but I think it is easier to use 2 drill motors, one with a drill bit and the other with a #50 Torx bit in it. Lay the board down, drill it, drop a self tapping screw into the hole and hit it with the other drill motor, then go onto the next one.
David from jax
You can drill from bottom. Just stick your bit in from top and lean it until straight. After you drill up from bottom through wood.

On mine I tacked an angle iron on edge of channel and bolted floor to that. I only did two cross members. Each end is held down by a piece of steel.

/ Trailer refurb #27  
David from jax
I was trying to say, drill pilot hole from bottom up, then insert screw from top down.

/ Trailer refurb #28  
Channels pose a different challenge, but I'm pretty sure the trailer in the original post has angles.

/ Trailer refurb
Channels pose a different challenge, but I'm pretty sure the trailer in the original post has angles.
Is this product worth the effort?
Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer Spray Paint

/ Trailer refurb #30  
I've used POR-15 and Eastwood products. This video looks like a reasonable comparison and finds the Rustoleum good but not as good as POR-15. Although they find the Rustoleum a "value leader", I usually brush on the rust reformer, so cost isn't as big a deal as it is with spray cans. The Eastwood product and the POR-15 leave very good brushed on surfaces to paint over.

Best Rust Converter? POR-15 vs Rust-Oleum, Eastwood, Rust Reformer