Trailer Stabilize Leg

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #1  

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Trailer Foot.jpg

A question on the operation of these legs.
The operation of these legs should be straightforward but is there a trick to adjusting these spring loaded legs? To set them downward I need to get on my hands and knees to operate them. When I pull the lever out they slam upward and I almost need earplugs to drown out the noise unless I am on my hands and knees controlling the ascent.

To set them I pull out and lock the lever but guiding the stand with my foot works and then trying to bend over to unlock the lever while holding it with my foot makes me feel like a contortionist.

Power jacks is not an option, but would sure be nice.

Any hints I am not seeing? Is everyone as frustrated with that as I am?

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #2  
Yes, I have the same problem.

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #3  
I use to dislike them with springs until I owned a trailer that had the same jack without a spring. They are loud when they slam upward, I usually use my foot to push them down while holding the pin with my hand, it's tricky but it works.

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #4  
Mine you can turn the pin a qtr turn and it locks in the out position, use my foot to set it and then knock the pin with my leg or hand and it springs back to lock.

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #5  
Just your description of the required procedure makes this old back ache. Can you put something - a concrete block - on the foot when its down and then go about releasing the locking pin.

/ Trailer Stabilize Leg #6  
You could, it's not as bad as it sounds. Is the jack at the corner of the trailer or in the center?
Mines in the center and isn't easy to access but still not bad.
You could also look into removing the spring but then you would have to lift the foot up.