Trailer Tire Rotation?

/ Trailer Tire Rotation? #1  

diesel85

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
So I got 3 trailers: single, double, and a triple axle. They are all flatbed style haulers. Double and triple are equipment/car haulers.

They are all experiencing normal tire wear. Nothing out of the ordinary. I also keep an eagle eye to the tire pressures. Each trailer has differing amounts of mileage on those tires.

The trailers, when not in use, are stored in a climate controlled area.

In the past, I've rotated them every other year of use. Never seemed to make much of a difference, other than me doing some wrenching and inspecting of hardware and brakes.

Do others think I'm crazy, or should I keep on chugging along and keep to this schedule?

/ Trailer Tire Rotation? #2  
The biggest benefit to rotating trailer tires is having the tire off to check everything else out. I have thought about rotating my trailer tires, on my dump trailer, but it’s more because the back axle has several plug/patches in each of them. The rears get beat twice as hard with all the gravel I drive, which supports rotating them.

/ Trailer Tire Rotation? #3  
I do it every other year or so, usually the passenger side has more scrub wear (outer shoulder)

/ Trailer Tire Rotation? #4  
I keep tabs on tire wear and inflation. I do pull them to repack the bearings every 2 or 3 years so I suppose I could rotate them easily enuf. I do not rotate them because I don't put enough mileage on them for it to be a concern. I replace the tires about the 5 year point. If they were on the road regularly, I'd rotate them.

/ Trailer Tire Rotation? #5  
The rears get beat twice as hard with all the gravel I drive, which supports rotating them.

I agree, tandem axles, truck or trailer, will always wear the rears more.