Trailer tires…what the…

/ Trailer tires…what the… #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
So I’ve never seen this before but pulled the trailer out yesterday to tow the small tractor to a job. Tires on one side perfect, tires on the other side both cracked really bad, not like dry rot, there was a line where I could see slight tread separation. I had already committed to the job so decided I’d take her as far as she’d go then road the tractor from there if I had too. Also all backcountry dirt roads so slow traveling and no traffic….still hated to be “that guy”. Long story short it made it there and back but I lost half the tread on one and a couple chunks out of the other. Anyone have any ideas what would cause one side to do that? Stored out of direct light mostly shaded so not like one side gets more exposure there. Checked pressures and everything was normal so not over pressured somehow. I use this trailer several times a month and didn’t see anything on my last walk around so was shocked last night.

Question part two, what’s everyone’s go to trailer tire? Bonus points for a recommendation made in USA. 225/75R15 load range D.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #2  
If no sunlight....and I doubt salt has much influence in GA, the only thing I can think is a bad batch of tires?

/ Trailer tires…what the… #3  
How old are the tires?

I've got a trailer with 4 identical tires, all purchased the same day. Three are perfect. One has the tread contorting into strange shapes. I'm convinced it's a 'bad tire' from the factory. Going to replace them all this year, so watching this thread for advice as well.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #4  
Tires don't seem to last as long without cracking somewhere these days. Not sure if they've changed the materials or what is going on. 4 or 5 years and it seems like they are shot it seems like.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #5  
I’m also needing trailer tires. Mine around 12 years old, probably just a few thousand miles, but age is catching up.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #6  
Sea - As MossRoad asked - how old the tires ?
If right side the bad side - perhaps from running off the road onto the shoulder - or no shoulder.
Marathon's notoriously bad tires
Goodyear Endurance now the "go to" tire for RVers. Is available your size, maybe "E"
Get 'em balanced. You won't feel it, but your tires will.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #7  
I bought a set of Gladiator tires several years ago and they have been good so far, so last year I put a set on my dump trailer.

/ Trailer tires…what the… #8  
Sometimes there are recalls and warranties...

I've never had much luck but a friend did... tread was as new but severe checking at 4 years...

Went to the dealer who took pictures and said call you back.

He received 4 new tires for the cost of labor...

He was ok with that...

My old utility with AG tires must be 60 years old and look good...

/ Trailer tires…what the…
How old are the tires?

I've got a trailer with 4 identical tires, all purchased the same day. Three are perfect. One has the tread contorting into strange shapes. I'm convinced it's a 'bad tire' from the factory. Going to replace them all this year, so watching this thread for advice as well.
I was trying to figure that out this morning, bought the trailer new in '11 and this is the second set of tires. I think six years ago? Not totally sure.

Here's some pics I grabbed this morning as I was leaving for work. Bad ones, the one with cracks is how the one with separation looked before the drive and doesn't seem any worse on that one. The good ones look fine.
E28AB133-32D3-46E0-ABD9-40F430EB9B08.jpeg

C84CC486-304E-4356-98AE-2930D5888FDD.jpeg

03C326B0-DEB6-4B7B-AD97-30014C11CB33.jpeg

/ Trailer tires…what the…
Sea - As MossRoad asked - how old the tires ?
If right side the bad side - perhaps from running off the road onto the shoulder - or no shoulder.
Marathon's notoriously bad tires
Goodyear Endurance now the "go to" tire for RVers. Is available your size, maybe "E"
Get 'em balanced. You won't feel it, but your tires will.
So one idea I came up with is the county recently (last summer) put rumble strips down the center of our county roads which are too dang narrow already. Was wondering if I've ridden the rumble strips more on that side?

I would buy a goodyear if there's no other option.