Trailer tires…what the…

/ Trailer tires…what the… #41  
In a previous life we had a customer who bought flowers at the famous flower auction in Aalsmeer in the evening, and raced them to German and Austrian wholesalers at highly illegal speeds, to be distributed before the florists opened in the morning. He was the only one with frequent tire blowouts. Afterwe swapped out the 255/50B12 (he loaded wheelie bins by hand, and therefor wanted a flat floor at the lowest deck height possible, to push trolleys full of water buckets full of flowers into the trailer) for Kenda Kargo 195/50R13C rated at 920kg at 140kmh, he was fine: The 12" rim sat so snug around the brake drum that it just didnt allow for enough wind to cool the brake drums on long descents near Frankfurt.

Needless to say which tire brand i wanted when swapping the 185R14on my trailer to drop the deck by 5 inches. 😉

Tire blowouts are almost allways a matter of overheating: Either by brake heat, or heat generated by kneading the rubber on an underinflated tire.

Last edited:
   / Trailer tires…what the… #42  
When looking at it this close up it almost looks like there are belts breaking inside and it's just starting to come apart. Bet I don't get 100,000 miles out of this one.View attachment 739965
That looks like the tires under my beater scrap hauler trailer, after which i decided to unbolt the brand new coupler and leave the loaded trailer at the scrapyard: the bolts holding the fender on were a bit long, so occasionally they touched the tire, which tore some lugs off.