Trailering passenger car

/ Trailering passenger car #11  
When I ran light-medium duty flatbed wreckers, I almost always used the JTR hooks like nisaacs pictured. Attaching directly to the frame section was always preferred. I would occaisionally have to use the large J-hooks and go to the solid rear axle and lower A-arms on older vehicles (pre-front wheel drive drek-and older trucks, etc). We NEVER ran straps through or over the wheels or tires. Good Gawd. That's just begging for trouble.

When I'm hauling cars for myself or others on my own car trailer, I use axle straps on all 4 corners.

Sounds just like it should, the axle strap portion (on the left in the picture) wraps around an axle or lower A-arm at the corner of the car (or truck). On a classic or exotic car, it limits the chances of chipping paint or finish on something high end.
is there a length of axil strap that you use most often for hauling cars, pickups or CUT's?

/ Trailering passenger car #12  
Also keep in mind, most states DOT require 4 corner attachment. For me, anytime I was hauling distance it was always 4 chains w/4 binders. There were a few times that I wished i had J hooks, but I always found a place to loop the chain without damaging anything.

I thought over the tire straps were going to be easier/quicker, so I bought a set...nope, they always came loose or shifted requireing a re-do.

/ Trailering passenger car #13  
Maybe? The problem is there is often something that will get damaged that is attached to the axle such as brake lines or wiring.

As far as sharp edges on wheels, some have them some don’t. In my picture of the Challenger above there aren’t a lot of sharp edges.
I've always been able to run the strap in such a way to avoid it snagging anything it shouldn't. Sometimes you have to study it for a bit to "see" how to run it.

Of course, if you have a minimum wage kid with a "zombie" brain working for you, you don't let them haul any of the "good" stuff.

/ Trailering passenger car #14  
is there a length of axil strap that you use most often for hauling cars, pickups or CUT's?
I've only used axle straps on cars, myself. For my old trucks, both were old solid axle 4x4's, and they were "unpolished" (not restored), so it was chains and binders on each corner.

I run the same, chains and binders on each corner, when I haul my tractor.

The axle straps I bought from the picture, were originally for a 69 "B-body" Mopar (larger car). They will still work for hauling smaller modern cars, like my daughter's Corolla (emergency roadside towing, aka "Dad's Towing, Inc"), but they are on the short side on such a small car. It can also depend on where and how many tie downs your car trailer has on it. My enclosed trailer only had 4 (for the B-body). My flatbed trailer has stake pockets down both sides. I would measure from the car's suspension corner, to where your tie down point is on the trailer you intend to use, once you have the car sitting on the trailer where you want it (weight distribution).

/ Trailering passenger car #15  
I prefer to strap the wheels or axles down as opposed to stepping the car down. That let's the suspension do its thing & give the car a smoother ride.

Also, if you strap the car down, unless the suspension is totally compressed out, a good bump will cause it to flex. Big jolt when the suspension unflexes. Likely to break straps or other parts, or just have things come loose.

/ Trailering passenger car #16  
   / Trailering passenger car #17  
I prefer to strap the wheels or axles down as opposed to stepping the car down. That let's the suspension do its thing & give the car a smoother ride.

Also, if you strap the car down, unless the suspension is totally compressed out, a good bump will cause it to flex. Big jolt when the suspension unflexes. Likely to break straps or other parts, or just have things come loose.
When we loaded Army trucks from the AM General plant in South Bend onto train cars, we had to chain them down from the frame to the rail car, then crank the chain binders down until the suspension compressed for just that reason.

We had to use two chains and binders on each corner, so 8 total for each vehicle. And safety wire on the binders after they were tight.

Then a military inspector would come by and inspect each tie down before the OK was given to haul the train away.

/ Trailering passenger car #18  
When we loaded Army trucks from the AM General plant in South Bend onto train cars, we had to chain them down from the frame to the rail car, then crank the chain binders down until the suspension compressed for just that reason.

We had to use two chains and binders on each corner, so 8 total for each vehicle. And safety wire on the binders after they were tight.

Then a military inspector would come by and inspect each tie down before the OK was given to haul the train away.
Yes but train has little to no suspension. Totally different deal.

/ Trailering passenger car #19  
I've hauled multiplied thousands of vehicles. I don't use any straps unless it's already old and greasy. I don't like getting clean ones oily. So, I use chains. I have cluster hooks for the frame holes, but I usually just tie on rear axle or rear arms If front wheel drive. I don't use binders on rear, just chains. Tie ropes or wire around where chains hook together, through the links. Put binders on front chains. I always put an extra chain on front and tie both ends, one end on vehicle, other end on trailer. I tie an actual knot in each end. Usually haul them in neutral, windows up. Leave a window down, buy a new headliner, just how it is. I tie all my binders too. Never had anything come loose. Where a Chain hooks together, a roll of tape is handy for that.

/ Trailering passenger car #20  
Ive seen tow truck drivers do some jenky stuff.
I had to have my barracuda towed once when my clutch Linkeage broke.
The tow truck driver was very happy that I had welded on tow straps on all four corners.
He said he swears bullets sometimes on classic cars due to lack of places to hook to but any good towing company will have the proper straps and go jacks to handle any behicle properly.
Gotta love the guys that drag a car because it won’t come out of park .
A set of go jacks will solve that problem.