transfer pump cross contamination

/ transfer pump cross contamination #1  

JCoastie

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE
I use a harbor freight battery operated stick transfer pump to fill my diesel tractor and my gas zero turn and gas SxS.
I have no issues going between diesel and gas.

The transfer stick is also designed for oil, and I think I might use it to pump 'new' hydraulic fluid. I'd imagine since the hydraulic oil is so much thicker than fuel, there would be some residual within the stick. Would there be a problem pumping diesel into the tractor afterwards? Kind of using that to clean out the pump?

63847_W3.jpg

/ transfer pump cross contamination #2  
Why not run a quart or even less of diesel fuel into a small container first and use that to burn a brush pile or similar ….. 😉

/ transfer pump cross contamination
that is an option I didn't think of

/ transfer pump cross contamination #4  
It is a $10 pump. You could get a pump for different applications.

Nonetheless, diesel is a somewhat oily fuel. You probably wouldn't notice a half cup of hydraulic oil mixed in with 5 or 10 gallons of fuel.

Last edited:
   / transfer pump cross contamination
that's kind of what I was thinking. I'd imagine it will be less than a tablespoon mixed with 5+ gallons.

/ transfer pump cross contamination #6  
That thing prob dosnt hold more than 1/4cup of fluid in the pump if the vertical pipe drains. I wouldnt worry about going from petroleum based products but I would if your pumping something like antifreeze to fuel.