Transplanting trees??????

/ Transplanting trees?????? #1  

rtdiggr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1433v
I would like to transplant some trees, they are about 3-4" in diameter.
My question is, is it alright to use a backhoe or should i go rent a tree spade for about $250 a day.

Thanks Shane

/ Transplanting trees?????? #2  
I'm a Landscape Architect, and we frequently use tree spade companies on our projects.

I know very little actually, but do know a few general concepts in the tree spade industry.

- Even a nursery grown well groomed tree with all the proper treatments (including microrihza and other bio treatments) only has an 80% success rate.

- Wild grown trees are very sensative. Some do much better than others. Maples are one of the safer bets. But as a whole, it is a 40 / 60 success rate.

- Trees in the 2-3" range are much more successful than anything larger.

- The main culprit in killing spade trees is air pockets. This is why common practice is to water in very well with sand. It is also why a spade that can dig a perfect hole is more successful. I would think a backhoe could lead to more air pockets.

Hope all that helps some.

In the end, if you have a large supply of free trees and already own the backhoe, why not try it. ;)

Good luck.

/ Transplanting trees??????
Thanks for the info, i like the 80% with a spade than the 40-60% without it.
Plus it is a chance to try a new implement.

Shane

/ Transplanting trees?????? #4  
Depending on how many trees you are looking to do and how many days you would need to rent the spade, you may want to look at buying one used. In the end you can take your time moving them, and then either sell the spade when you are done or have another attachment. I think there is a company called tree toad that makes a 3 pt hitch model.

/ Transplanting trees?????? #5  
Go with the tree spade as you will not damage as many roots. I'd say from past experiece a 18" backhoe bucket will kill that tree, lucky if a 25" would do it!

/ Transplanting trees?????? #6  
A 36" bucket works pretty good..... but you only get 1 chance to scoop it! Best be soft soil or you will be looking for a different tree.

jb

/ Transplanting trees??????
Thanks for the input, i do have a 24"bucket but it seems the potential for damage is still there, and probable high.

The idea of a new implement hum!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Thanks Shane

/ Transplanting trees?????? #8  
The experienced tree spaders I have talked to will tell you that your 4 inchers are too big and your threes are pushing the limit. It takes on of those truck sized spades and a lot of skill to transplant anything 4 inches or over.

Take a look at a Bobcat "Digger" or similar. It's designed to root prune and transplant -- but 2 - 2-1/2 inch is the largest I would tackle with it.

/ Transplanting trees?????? #9  
A 4" tree will need at least a 40" root ball.

/ Transplanting trees?????? #10  
Mornin Shane,
I cant offer any real advice on transplanting anything that big, it looks like the guys have given you some good numbers to start with. I did transplant a bunch of small pines this past spring, anything from 2 ft high to less than a ft and out of 50 + trees we got about 35 to survive so I guess the ratio that Tony gave you was close to the mark on success rate ! ;)

I do know that after digging all those holes by hand Im going to get a post hole digger by next spring ! :)