Transporting boulders

/ Transporting boulders #51  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....
Frankly, I would put a few inches of dirt in the bottom of the trailer before I tossed in the boulders!

/ Transporting boulders #52  
When I moved some big ones, I put a pallet on top of one and then ran chains over the top of the pallet and pushed it into the wood. Rock didn't move an inch.

/ Transporting boulders #53  
Avoiding movement of large items is necessary for more than just keeping the trailer/truckbed nice - you may not think much of a box sliding around in the back of your truck, but a 1000# boulder coming loose in a turn can easily cause an overturn when it hits the side, and then you have to worry about what that boulder's going to do to someone else.

This is why stalls in a horse trailer are important - you've got a large, mobile load in a larger trailer, and you need to keep it in one spot. You'd prefer to strap that load down tight, but the horse would probably kick you if you tried, so you put it in the stall. A boulder won't kick you unless it gets loose on a turn, so strap it in tight enough that a sudden turn isn't going to break it loose (you know, when you tried to do the move at night because there's so much less traffic, and found a few deer in the road suddenly? or a kid?).

/ Transporting boulders #54  
I want to transport some boulders about 50 miles. I have a 5x8 heavy duty dump trailer that should probably handle 2 or 3 of them. How in the world do you fasten them down for transport? Or not bother?

The sides on my trailer are high enough where the boulders could not possible fall over the sides or the back. It's more if I was in an accident-- those boulders flying around could do some serious damage.

I don't have D-rings in my trailer ....

Now would be a good time to install some, just sayin. ☮✌🏻

/ Transporting boulders #55  
With a small dump trailer and no D-rings there isn't much you can do. Maybe just cover them with a heavy tarp and stretch a few straps across the top. Take the less traveled roads, don't get in a hurry, drive slow, defensively and under the speed limit. Give the tailgaters ample time to get around you.

If possible, throw in some dunnage or old pallets to act as a shock absorber just in case.
Put a thick layer of soft material, like dirt in the bottom around the boulders lower 1/3.
That‘ll help prevent them from shifting. Then add straps across tops
If you strap them without the soft material, the straps will constantly work their way lose
That's the best advice to date. Sounds like those boulders exceed GVW on Trailer and Braking system.
Tell the recipient to come and get them.

/ Transporting boulders #56  
Avoiding movement of large items is necessary for more than just keeping the trailer/truckbed nice - you may not think much of a box sliding around in the back of your truck, but a 1000# boulder coming loose in a turn can easily cause an overturn when it hits the side, and then you have to worry about what that boulder's going to do to someone else.

This is why stalls in a horse trailer are important - you've got a large, mobile load in a larger trailer, and you need to keep it in one spot. You'd prefer to strap that load down tight, but the horse would probably kick you if you tried, so you put it in the stall. A boulder won't kick you unless it gets loose on a turn, so strap it in tight enough that a sudden turn isn't going to break it loose (you know, when you tried to do the move at night because there's so much less traffic, and found a few deer in the road suddenly? or a kid?).

cf398f0b-7b59-4957-8b77-c1e89dc3d590-large16x9_cow1.jpg

/ Transporting boulders #57  
It's not coming out of the trailer unless you crash. Don't crash. Just send it.

I agree. It don't mater what you haul, if you crash you got problems.

tarp.jpg

/ Transporting boulders #58  
I've moved quite a few for landscape jobs. I put them on pallets and use stretch wrap. Use the skid steer to unload

/ Transporting boulders #59  
Many very good ideas above! I've moved numerous tons of larger rock over the years But before I send in my two cents, I'm making a few logical guesses. First, that like most dump bed trailers the dump bed base is metal (not wood, so forget all of the "screw" this or that down stuff). Second, since you don't already have tie-downs inside the bed, you probably would either A) rather not have them in the bed (so items being dumped don't get hung up later) or B) you don't want to (or can't, and don't have friends that can) weld them in.

Now, my 2 cents, your trailer is a good size for many things, but in my opinion, may be a bit small for this task - however, it may be the largest thing you can haul, if this is correct don't expect to haul more than one rock at a time - you know, fuel being what it is now, add up all the trips and determine if it might be more feasible to hire a truck that will carry all of the rock in one load.

If I were doing this I would probably do it this way. First, consider renting a larger dump trailer - or regular (non-dump) trailer if you have the means to off load the rock. Using either of the methods 5030 stated earlier is absolutely the legal, safe and proper way of doing it. However, if you might be the type to roll the dice or (like me) believe that most times it's easier to play ignorant and hope for a lenient judge should something happen, I would consider doing the following: first, use sand, gravel or mulch on the bottom - myself, I ask the wifey if she needs any of those so it doesn't go to waste, if she doesn't I use the cheapest of the three. Second, line the sides, front & back of trailer with old tires standing upright wherever you have the space. Third, use a tire on top of each rock (with hole over the pointy part on top) and finally, using rated straps, chains etc tie them down to the tie-down points on the outside if the bed. I don't believe I've ever seen a manufactured dump trailer without tie-down points on the outside of the bed - I have seen homemade ones without though.

If it still doesn't appear to be stable AND if you have hailing weight left on the trailer, consider putting more of the bottom layer around the tires, rock and sides of the trailer. DON'T be the guy that decides the trailer is rated for 2T and loads 4T in the bed - that ticket can become really, really expensive (just ask my neighbor), and is extremely unsafe!

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

/ Transporting boulders #60  
I thought I had replied to this earlier but don't see it so here it is again. Dump a few inches of soft dirt/sand in the bottom, carefully drop the rocks in and they'll make their own nest. If needed, dump enough more dirt around them to keep them from shifting and head for home. We moved many thousands of yards of heavy rip rap like this and it was standard practice as long as long as I can remember and without tie downs. It's easier on the truck or trailer too. Round rocks would naturally require a little more fussing
Smiley

i