Trash Can Cart

/ Trash Can Cart #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
This has been on my mind ever since we moved to the country 5 years ago...how to efficiently move your trashcan to the curb/street for pickup when you live far off the road. I have been loading the trashbins into the bed of my truck and taking them up to the road. Since I have been trying to save gas, I've parked my truck in the barn and now drive a small car so I've been dragging the trashbins behind my ATV using a rachet strap. The gravel drive beats up the wheels and bounces the can to the point that you're lucky if it holds up a year or two. :mad:

How do most of you perform this weekly task? Have you fabricated or purchased something to make this easier? Pictures?

I've thought about just a basic tube frame with pneumatic/foam wheels and either hooks to a bumper/trailer hitch/rack....kinda along the lines of a hand-truck or two-wheeled dolly like you use for moving.

Tyler

P.S.
I subscribe to The Family Handyman Magazine DIY Home Improvement Projects ? Do It Yourself Home Repair Guides - Family Handyman and they had a tip for this very issue: drive your riding lawnmower while holding onto your trashbin behind you. They acted like this was lifechanging. I know we can do better than this!

/ Trash Can Cart #4  
I used the Cansporter with only one can like posted in the previous link. We have a steep drive about a 1/4 mile and this worked great if you all ready have a vehicle with a hitch. For a long time I hauled the can in the loader with a strap, but during the cold/snowy weather in the dark to take out the can became too much trouble withe the tractor. It's a pretty slick device- I don't still understand the physics of the thing. The problem with it was when we got a new can it didn't always have the bar down low it needs, but I was able to always fashion something to make it work.

/ Trash Can Cart
I just hate having to go to the barn to get the tractor/truck. I keep my ATV in our house garage for quick transportation.

I spoke with the sanitation guy the other morning and I asked about repairing the trashbin (its got cracks in the handle and lid and the wheels are about to fall off). He said to set it out by the curb and call customer service for repair or a free new one. So I guess I might just "squish it" with my tractor and blame it on a crazy driver and get a new one ever so often.

/ Trash Can Cart
We had a bar down low for a month or two and then the trash-trucks hydraulic arm bent the thing in half. Bad design on their part!

/ Trash Can Cart #7  
If you have two cans an fel works well... We have 3 cans so I got an el cheapo harbor freight trailor anf put a plywood bottom and 2/4 sides, put some light duty chain to keep them upright during transport and use the 500 cc quad. I leave the cans on throghout the week, not terribly inconvenient.

Carl

/ Trash Can Cart
I think Im gonna try to make a frame, like a hand-truck to hook onto my rear rack on my atv. I just haul 1 can weekly; i have 2 but 1 stays in the barn and only gets filled every so often. I like those metal brackets that slip over the handle and hook to my ball, but an ATV ball is only 13" off the ground. The can would practically be laying flat on its back, which hinders it from rolling.

/ Trash Can Cart #9  
Do you have city cans? They have a catch for a hook that a piece af angle iron fits in well

/ Trash Can Cart
They are the big green ones with the lid built in that swings over the back. It had a metal 1" aluminum bar that was recessed in the front but that is ancient history.