Tree business must be good.

/ Tree business must be good. #11  
I had a ~40' tree close to shop with some branches rubbing on shop wall and roof. I had taken some of it down and my dad thought it was too dangerous for me. He hired a fancy outfit that took it down without hitting shop, chipped it all into their truck and ground the stump. I never saw the bill, and dad quit worrying about me getting hurt.

/ Tree business must be good. #13  
Last year tree service return and remove TALL dead pine and true to there word they did great removing 100% clean up but the wait time almost 3 months :confused2:...going rate $1.000 tree.

/ Tree business must be good. #14  
I've got a problematic red maple. Someone cat faced it decade or more ago right at ground level. It is right next to the house and leaning heavily towards it. My first htought is; rent a cherry picker and cut it into small pieces int he air, so it won't matter so much where they fall.

The downside there is I am probably too heavy for a cherry picker, so might end up hiring it out.

There are also some real big white pines in the yard I want to take out, but they look like they'll fall in safe directions.

/ Tree business must be good. #15  
When my dad hurt his back up in Pennsylvania and me being in NC, I came across the same problem calling Pa lawn care people. No one would return a phone call, couldn't find many people on any websites.

Had the same issue trying to find someone myself for various things.

People advertise their business, but it amazes me that some businesses won't even return a phone call from a possible future customer.

/ Tree business must be good. #16  
Last year tree service return and remove TALL dead pine and true to there word they did great removing 100% clean up but the wait time almost 3 months :confused2:...going rate $1.000 tree.
If It's only $1.000 per tree, why would they care about tenth of a penny? Lol

/ Tree business must be good. #17  
I had the same experience. 1 big oak by the house that I wasn't 100% confident I could fell correctly. Called 1 guy with a nice business and nice equipment that I used several times in the past. His son or workers would answer and never follow through on appointments. From what I understand he might be "back on the bottle". Called 3 legitimate businesses recommended by friends. 2 made appts and didn't show. Called another guy I have used 2 times, has a big business (several trucks and crane, etc) he stalled for a month, finally called ready to show up when i was already done.

Finally called a fella who works for the city and cuts trees as a side business (has legit insurance for business). He came out and cut 3 trees for less than a business would cut 1 for. He climbed and cut them. I learned alot helping him.

I bought a small stump grinder used for $800 from home depot a while ago so I don't have to deal with stump cutter dudes. Those guys are crazier than the tree cutters! 20171014_105120.jpeg

/ Tree business must be good. #18  
If I had a tree that made me nervous I would check with rental places about renting a bucket truck for a day.
I had a tree like that here and I heard woodcutters working next door. Guy said he would come over and cut it down within 6ft. of ground for $450 cash.
It took him about 15-20 minutes. With bucket truck he whacked limbs starting at top working his way down. As he went he just tossed limbs to the side.
I paid him and I made the final cut and hauled everything off.
My point is no matter what the tree, with a good bucket truck it's not that big of a deal.
$1200+/hour ain't bad (for him).

/ Tree business must be good. #19  
Sometimes I think that if I had just paid someone to do it my life would be a lot simpler.

I enjoyed your tale of woe... I think I've got a related affliction; it usually goes something like "if I do this myself, I can save money and get this or that tool in the process that makes the next job even more of a save!"... I need a bigger shop.

/ Tree business must be good. #20  
If I had a tree that made me nervous I would check with rental places about renting a bucket truck for a day.
I had a tree like that here and I heard woodcutters working next door. Guy said he would come over and cut it down within 6ft. of ground for $450 cash.
It took him about 15-20 minutes. With bucket truck he whacked limbs starting at top working his way down. As he went he just tossed limbs to the side.
I paid him and I made the final cut and hauled everything off.
My point is no matter what the tree, with a good bucket truck it's not that big of a deal.
$1200+/hour ain't bad (for him).

Wood chipper is worth their weight in gold IMO. I'm always amazed at how many trailer loads a small tree can fill. My burn pile is also getting ridiculously high.