Tree Pullers

/ Tree Pullers
Leejohn,

My tractor size, weight and horsepower falls in the middle between your B7800 and L4240. The backhoe on the back should provide the needed ballast on the rear. I just need to see if the hydraulics have the needed lifting power.

/ Tree Pullers #12  
A while back, I ran across an ad for a puller that consisted of a clamp similar to the second one the OP showed in his link. Behind the clamp was a large vertical hydraulic cylinder with a foot/pad on the bottom end. After the tree was clamped the cylinder thrust the foot down against the ground and pulled the tree. It looked as if it would take a great deal of stress off of the front end of the tractor. So far I haven't been able to relocate that advertisement. It seemed like a good idea when I saw it.

/ Tree Pullers
stuckmotor,

Very interesting! That certainly would help, if lift capacity of the tractor is marginal. I'll do some searching also.

/ Tree Pullers #15  
I think such a design would be great. It wouldn't be hard to exceed the lift capacity of even the biggest skid steer. How are they powered? It looks like it would take 2 hydraulic circuits that most machines don't have. I'd also worry about over loading the curl cylinder.

/ Tree Pullers
What a Beast! The video's don't show the hydraulically assisted version in action though. I would imagine that unit would be quiet expensive too and it weighs in at 700 lbs. May be a little much for a compact tractor. Very interesting concept though.

/ Tree Pullers #17  
Leejohn,

My tractor size, weight and horsepower falls in the middle between your B7800 and L4240. The backhoe on the back should provide the needed ballast on the rear. I just need to see if the hydraulics have the needed lifting power.

Just move back and fwd and it helps to pull it loose. When pulling back watch out and don't get hit with the tree.

/ Tree Pullers
Thanks, Leejohn. I will try this today. I've just been digging out stumps with the backhoe and the jarring is killing my back. Little rusty on the hoe but my technique should improve with practice.

/ Tree Pullers #19  
Doofy,
It was a big disappointment for me not to see the hydraulically assisted version in action too. I became interested in this type of puller after a guy told me that he'd broaken several wheels and axle spindles just feeding heavy round bales with his loader.

/ Tree Pullers #20  
I think such a design would be great. It wouldn't be hard to exceed the lift capacity of even the biggest skid steer. How are they powered? It looks like it would take 2 hydraulic circuits that most machines don't have.

I have little experience with hydraulics, but, I think a diverter valve might operate the cylinder with the foot/bar. I'm not sure you'd be able to operate the loader lift arms at the same time. Maybe someone who knows will chime in.