Tree stumps and farming

/ Tree stumps and farming #11  
Doc_Bob said:
I have cut down some trees. Stumps about 6-12 inches. In order for the guy who farms my land to start planting in this area, what do I need to do with this stump?
Bob
Pushing the trees over with your FEL on the TN70 should have worked before these were cut short. If it has 4wd you could probably still get themout in just a few minutes each with the FEL. Maybe Im wrong in the case of your tractor, but the 7520 Mahindra would makeshort work of stumps in this size range.
Larry

/ Tree stumps and farming #12  
The 6000 would too! It's pretty rough on a tractor to do this though. Better to find a used hoe and bury them deep.

/ Tree stumps and farming
SPYDERLK said:
Pushing the trees over with your FEL on the TN70 should have worked before these were cut short.

I thought about using the FEL. Only concern is bending the bucket!
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #14  
PHP:
bending the bucket

Give it a try and see what happens. You can always renenforce the bucket!:D

/ Tree stumps and farming #15  
Doc_Bob said:
I thought about using the FEL. Only concern is bending the bucket!
Bob
Hit the tree with your forward FEL arms just a bit above horizontal and your bucket lip aimed upward similar to the arms. When this works right the bottom of the bucket is not pushed up or down but straight inward. The lip digs into the tree and the arms pivot up a little with the force exerted. The tractor is levered onto the ground and the tree is lifted as it is pushed. Ive done up to 18" this way and havnt found the limit yet.
Larry

/ Tree stumps and farming
SPYDERLK said:
Hit the tree with your forward FEL arms just a bit above horizontal and your bucket lip aimed upward similar to the arms. When this works right the bottom of the bucket is not pushed up or down but straight inward. The lip digs into the tree and the arms pivot up a little with the force exerted. The tractor is levered onto the ground and the tree is lifted as it is pushed. Ive done up to 18" this way and havnt found the limit yet.
Larry

Larry, sounds like a great idea, but I cannot visualize exactly what you are suggesting I do from your description.
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #17  
Im talking trees not stumps. This takes the trees out with stumps attached. Lots of leverage! Take your tractor over to a tree with the FEL raised so the bucket lip is 7 or 8' high. I think youll see from the angle of youre FEL arms that when you push, the tractor will try to go under the bucket. This pushes the tractor down and the tree up and over. Works good!
Larry

/ Tree stumps and farming #19  
Root problems depend on what you are farming. If its a hay meadow, you only have to worry about sprouts. Low till stuff probably won't be an issue either. Now if you pull a heavy disc harrow or ripping shanks across the field, you may have issues. Lots of times the disc will come out of the ground and "ride over" a large root. If the root is big enough it will break the shear bolt on the ripper. Also depends on the type of stump. After a couple of years a pine stump will usually shatter when hit w/ an implement.

/ Tree stumps and farming #20  
If you are having real problems with roots or stumps think of a Rome Disk.:D

Attachments

• rome.jpg
    rome.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 316