Tree stumps and farming

/ Tree stumps and farming #31  
Here in western WA a "recreational fire" is limited to 3x3x2 feet tall. Even the "cooking fire" trick is limited to dry seasoned wood and the same size requirements. The biggest trick is keeping your neighbors from squeeling.

As far as stumping, I have done a good bit of it with a 30 hp machine but I have learned to know my limits. Meaning if I can't easily remove the stump then I leave it and add it to the list for my annual huge slash fire which is done by a professional with a large excavator. It takes him 3 minutes to pop the stump and put it in the fire and at 80$ an hour 3 minutes is cheap for a 99% removed stump. It turns out that you can only put so much slash on a fire before it gets too hot to add any more and then the machine has to sit idle. While waiting for the fire to burn down, the excavator can be busy popping stumps.

I go through the area with a subsoiler after all is said and done to break up compaction and to find any roots.

/ Tree stumps and farming
Highbeam said:
Here in western WA a "recreational fire" is limited to 3x3x2 feet tall. Even the "cooking fire" trick is limited to dry seasoned wood and the same size requirements. The biggest trick is keeping your neighbors from squeeling.

In my area, rec fire just cannot have anythig like tires, creasote treated wood (that would taste crummy with my hot dog :D ) etc.
Bob

/ Tree stumps and farming #33  
Doc_Bob said:
Thanks, but what "straight on the lip"? Does this mean approach the tree with the bucket level using the lip like a "knife" or curl the bucket? Sorry for my questions, some terms I am not familiar with.
Bob
Yes, the bucket lip would be used like a knife - - but not horizontal. Remember youare pushing high. The arms will try to rise a little. They cant rise because the bucket lip is imbedded in the tree trunk. The tree causes a downward force on the bucket, or from another perspective, the bucket pushes up on the tree. This upward force would tend to bend the bucket lip down. That is why the lip should be angled slightly up from horizontal. With this angle the push tries to bend the lip up while the tree resists the tendency of the loader to rise. These 2 forces are opposite and balance one another leaving a resultant straight into the bucket along the bottom lip where the bucket is very strong. The upward tip is not critical. About 5 degrees or a little less seems about right. Just guesstimate it.
Larry

/ Tree stumps and farming #34  
SpyderLK, what sort of loader do you have ? a heavy duty one, or just an average hoby type of thing ?
when putting full force on it, at that angle, the loader subframe is getting the crap pushed out of it...

/ Tree stumps and farming
I tried pushing down some of the trees with the TN70A. Trees won, so I brought in a BIGGER friend!

DSC01245.jpg