trench/channel drain in gravel driveway

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #21  
Looks good, let us know how it works out

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #22  
I never seen guardrail used for drainage before, and I really like how it turned out. Looks easy enough to keep clean too. Thanks for posting, I'm going to have to remember this!!!

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #23  
I never seen guardrail used for drainage before, and I really like how it turned out. Looks easy enough to keep clean too. Thanks for posting, I'm going to have to remember this!!!

I’ve often wished I had a trench like that but it’s too much work to form up and pour concrete like that and too much work to get pipe that big and cut it in half. This is brilliant.

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #24  
I see myself building a hand drag the shape of the trough for cleaning out leaves and debris!!

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway

I saw the idea suggested by the US Forest Service and thought it was really clever. I can see it being great on any roads that have a washout problem where swales and water bars don't hold up.

Turns out there are several places in Texas that sell used guardrail cheap, so you will probably have an easier time getting it if you ever need it.

I致e often wished I had a trench like that but it痴 too much work to form up and pour concrete like that and too much work to get pipe that big and cut it in half. This is brilliant.

Yeah, all the alternatives were not real appealing due to cost or labor or difficulty. I considered concrete and treated lumber as inexpensive options but they both had a lot of downsides. The guardrail is super easy to work with and is just a perfect shape. In addition to forming a trough on the top, it creates the effect of drain tile on the bottom (the old style "tile") with two open channels. So even water underneath will have a path to flow through.

I see myself building a hand drag the shape of the trough for cleaning out leaves and debris!!

I have a little "sharpshooter" shovel that fits in there almost perfect, but I figure I can cut a better shape out of wood and rig it up like a hoe to keep the channel clean from time to time.

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #26  
I like your solution - very functional and cost effective!

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #27  
My only concern is when plowing snow would there be any problem pushing the guard rail out. I use a back blade on my tractor?

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway
My only concern is when plowing snow would there be any problem pushing the guard rail out. I use a back blade on my tractor?

If you can orient the guardrail to be diagonal across the driveway (which may be preferable for drainage anyhow) then I think that would minimize chances of problems. But I would still be careful plowing around it if it was me.

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #29  

What he said!!

I wish I had known about this when I built my logging road. It looks really nice!

/ trench/channel drain in gravel driveway #30  
I like the concept but I would also worry about snow plowing in the winter,
also if a loaded fuel or gravel truck would flatten out the shape and maybe kick up the ends.