Trespasser.....what would you do?

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #81  
Trespassing is trespassing, just because the property isn’t being “guarded” doesn’t give people the right to go on it. I am a land surveyor an I see problems occur when people don’t respect boundaries.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #82  
Oh, and I've found some phone app.... "hunt-Stand" or something like that. So it clearly shows this is private land. (the partnership is the owner) it also gives you the approximate property lines.

Just discovered this program last night.
Was it "OnX Hunt"? That's a good program. I'm not a hunter, but use it all the time. Several real estate agents in my area use it as well. You need to go to the paid version to get the property boundaries. If I recall, a single state runs $30/year.

I also use the Gaia GPS app. You also need the pay version to get property boundary info, but it appears to include most states for a reasonable price.

I've added a bunch of my own info to both apps: the trail networks on my property and surrounding properties, the forest stands from my forest management plan, streams & wetlands, the obstacles we've built on the obstacle course through our woods. You can import and export data to and from the apps, so a lot of the trails I've recorded I exprt into Google Earth where I can do more detailed editing. I make maps for printing out in that program.

Unfortunately for me, it seems the state of Vermont has settled on the Avenza app, so most folks from the departments of Fish & Wildlife as well as from Forest, Parks, & Recreation use it. This also means other professionals who interact with the state are adopting it. I don;t like this app as much: less intuitive to use, and it lacks a desktop version, so editing and viewing data when you get home is more complicated.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #83  
There's a 50 acre tract next to mine. The closest to contact I've had with the landowner was when the power company wanted to bring power in for my neighbor and I, and they asked permission to put a guy wire on their land. The out of state landowner said "There's no reason to put power down that road."
I've owned this place for 20 years and lived here for 18, yet have NEVER seen anybody there. It's just a vacant piece of timberland which they apparently bought as an investment. What harm does it do if I take my shotgun and dog for a walk to see if we can scare up a bird?
Maybe the current owner will sell it to you, so you can legally walk your dog there.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #84  
Hmm, very different from my land with right to roam is the law
I appreciated that when visiting relatives in Sweden and a friend in Norway.

Vermont law is is different than what many are describing in other states: People have the right to roam and the right to hunt, unless the property owner has posted their land. (To be considered legally posted, you have to put up signs at each corner and every 400 feet around the perimeter, and register with the local town clerk. You must renew those signs and registration each year.) However, even when land is not posted, if the landowner asks someone to leave and not return, they are required to do so.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #85  
The deer remains wouldnt bother me. Nature will take care of that.
Unfortunately, my dog will take care of that.

Plus it's just plain inconsiderate. Gut piles repeatedly left in the middle of one of our main trails is one of several reasons we started posting our land.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #86  
Here the right to roam law might be over 1000 years old,as far as i know it was mentioned in laws fro around 1200 but probably much older, whit out it you couldn't travel anywhere in the land.

Most interesting. Around here a government law does not give anybody the right to "roam" on private property. With the ability to "roam" anywhere on private property - like it was public land - property taxes must be very low. This is very close to adverse possession -by the government.

It's not "adverse possession, if you never possessed that right in the first place. Unless you are over 1200 years old, it's unlikely you did.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #87  
You're misunderstanding me. If I semi-abandon my property for damn near 30 years like the OP, then hell yes, you can come hunt in my woods, because it harms no one. I will never even know. I would argue that this is in fact normal behavoir because it happens everywhere. all the time. Normal humans are doing this constantly.

If I am active and aware of my property, and have it posted and well marked, then that would be ridiculous. Do you see the distinction?
So you abandon your land for 100 years. I go hunt it without permission, fall out of a tree stand, break my leg. I can sue you to pay for my medical and I will probably win, EVEN THOUGH I WAS TRESPASSING.

This is why you should post your land and keep any trespassers at bay.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #88  
No. What I see is the fact that it is not my property, I have no permission to be there and in fact am violating the law being there. You realize that we pass laws saying x is illegal because as a society that is behavior we expect people not to engage in right? Its my property. If I want it to sit vacant that is my right. It is not your right to determine some accepable period of time has elapsed that you have not noticed me using it and decide to you use it yourself.

It is MY property, not yours... do you see the distinction?
I sure do. I would not violate your property rights in any way, personally. But it also sounds like you would monitor, control access, and post your property appropriately to prevent any misunderstandings. Which solves this whole problem here.

I just think you should not be so easily offended and surprised that some human wants to enjoy a piece of nature for their minimally impactful pursuits. What if our billionaires bought up 99% of the countries forested timberland, and fenced it all off? Would that be ok? Or would be we joining together to protest and demand our fair access to natural areas. It's kind of just like, basic sharing. We see it all the time on the forum here, the person who brings up a trespassing thread, and is irate that someone dare also exist on the piece of nature they drew lines on a map around, and/or had a bank write a fancy letter explaining how it is now only theirs in perpetuity. Nature doesn't work that way, and a lot of humans don't either. 🤠

A lot of human cultures don't view land as a property to be taken, owned and controlled, rather a community asset to be respected and shared. Something to think about.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #89  
So you abandon your land for 100 years. I go hunt it without permission, fall out of a tree stand, break my leg. I can sue you to pay for my medical and I will probably win, EVEN THOUGH I WAS TRESPASSING.

This is why you should post your land and keep any trespassers at bay.
Well I hope we agree that any court and jury who rules in favor of a trespassers own fault is plainly wrong. When I first got my piece of land, I read up here and other places about the concept of an "attractive nuisance", and how you have liability for it. I had a dirt bike trail cutting through my property, and the thought of a bike crash and lawsuit did cross my mind. I made a log fence across the trail, which someone then chainsawed and tossed aside. Meh, I tried. Wasn't going to lose sleep over it.

Here in the northern states, we have a lot of shared snowmobile and ATV trails that go across and through private property. It works fine, no one sues over their own crashes or problems.

/ Trespasser.....what would you do? #90  
ok what is the time limit? 18 years? 17? 3 months? Can I just come wander your property whenever I want?
If I didn’t live here, or if my tract was larger then I wouldn’t have a problem with respectful use. Now please answer my question, which you ignored when quoting me.