Trick to using differential lock on GC2310?

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #1  

FredWalter

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5300, Gravely 8163G, BCS735, etc
Today I was moving earth, in 4WD, and a few times I ended up with some tires up in the air. I tried pushing down on the differential lock (while in slow), and nothing seemed to happen, and pulling up on it had the same effect.

Is there a trick to using the differential lock on a GC2310?

Or is my differential lock busted?

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #2  
Sometimes the differential lock will not engage right away and you'll need to slowly move forward while depressing the differential lock down. Sometimes it takes a while, but it should engage and drop to the floor. Whatever you do, make sure you are turning the wheels slowly and do not force the lever.:)

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #3  
Ditto- it will seem like it's never going to budge, then it'll drop all the way to the floor. Patience, steady pressure, perhaps tickle the forward/reverse pedal just a teensy bit while moving SLOWLY.

I always think mine will never make it, then get surprised. Same for disengaging- take foot off, move slowly and gently tickle the pedal (between accelerate & decelerate)-- while moving in a straight line.

BTW, the few times I've had it stuck that diff lock has worked beautifully to get me out!:D

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #4  
Yup, that's pretty much how mine works too! Don't press hard and move slowly. Sometimes it takes a little longer than others.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310?
Sometimes the differential lock will not engage right away and you'll need to slowly move forward while depressing the differential lock down. Sometimes it takes a while, but it should engage and drop to the floor. Whatever you do, make sure you are turning the wheels slowly and do not force the lever.:)

I've tried a number of times to get the differential lock to engage, and it wouldn't engage for me. I'm assuming that something is seized. My tractor is (I believe) still under warrantee until March 2010 (I bought it in March 2008), so I'm debating having it go back to the dealer where I bought it, to get the 250 hour service, and to get them to look at the differential lock. If I do this, is there anything else that I should have them look at, that is a common problem (that would be fixed under warrantee)? I recall that sometimes there is an issue with the loader not floating (I've never gotten that to work right either - is there a trick to it, or is that seized on my machine too)?

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #6  
You probably need someone to try these, who has experience with it.

Once engaged, occasionally the diff. lock does not disengage right away, either. You will know, because you can't turn tight.

I rarely use my diff. lock. I don't need it

Most don't know it, but there is a float on the backhoe bucket too.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #7  
...8<...I recall that sometimes there is an issue with the loader not floating (I've never gotten that to work right either - is there a trick to it, or is that seized on my machine too)?

I just level my bucket and set it down on the surface w/just a slight bit of pressure. Put my foot on the brake, back the throttle down a bit and push forward on the FEL control till the first stop is reached and continue to push a bit harder, all in one smooth motion. The control should go forward to the first stop, push against the resistance and another stop will be reached. You'll feel what little pressure that was on the FEL drop. I took a look under the control valve boot and there's a machined ring around the lift/lower rod. If that ring is not even or just below the face of the FEL valve head, I'm not in float. Push a forward to the next stop and that ring on the rod should drop even/just below the valve's face. I'm floatin'!:)

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310?
Don't press hard and move slowly. Sometimes it takes a little longer than others.

What's "a little longer"? The most that I've ever waited is 10-20 seconds before giving up trying to get the differential lock to engage.

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #9  
I know this is an old thread, yet few questions:
1) differential lock pedal drops down to the floor from a gentle push. Is it normal?
2) how long before it engages? When stuck, I tried little by little to pedal forward/backward for a minute or two, yet can't say differential got engaged (one rear and one forward rotates, the other two don't)
3) how to tell that differential got engaged?

/ Trick to using differential lock on GC2310? #10  
I suppose you'd have to raise the rear, in 2WD, and see if it really does lock or not. I'd also guess you could do this without the engine running, but I'm not sure. I have no experience otherwise. Let us know what you learn -- I've also wondered how you could tell, other than getting un-stuck, if it was working or "broken."