Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris?

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #1  

Verticaltrx

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200/L2501/SVL65-2/U35-4, IH 454/656, Ford NAA, Case 1845C/480E/450C LGP
Maybe it's just the nature of the unit but the RCK60-24B mower deck on the B7610 seems to kick up an awful lot of dust and debris when mowing. Not only does it make mowing unpleasant, but it also fills the air filter and radiator screen with dust/debris much quicker than it should. Has anyone else noticed this on their Kubota's equipped with ground contact decks? Maybe the blades are too high suction, do they even offer different blades for these mower decks? Any insight would be great, thanks.

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #2  
Maybe it's just the nature of the unit but the RCK60-24B mower deck on the B7610 seems to kick up an awful lot of dust and debris when mowing. Not only does it make mowing unpleasant, but it also fills the air filter and radiator screen with dust/debris much quicker than it should. Has anyone else noticed this on their Kubota's equipped with ground contact decks? Maybe the blades are too high suction, do they even offer different blades for these mower decks? Any insight would be great, thanks.

I think that's just the nature of the beast. My lawn (I use that term loosely) is "sparse" in areas, and when it's dry my Snapper LT16 rider makes a dust storm like you read about when I mow with it. I have to blow the engine compartment out with a compressor (easily 1/8" of dust on everything) and clean the air filter after every mowing.

JayC

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris?
This is a bit more excessive than most mowers. Compared to the other mowers we have (JD 265, Kubota ZD21, Grasshopper 614 and 725K) this is by far the worst. Not sure if it's the blades, the mower deck, or what.

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #4  
You may check with dealer and see if the mulching blades are lower lift. I know Land Pride offers low lift blades for there decks for sandy areas, not sure if Kubota does though. Depending on arbor size there are also some Gator blades that may fit or need an adapter and will fit.
I find that when I mow along the road I take the throttle down to about 3/4 and it reduces sucking up the gravel alot.

David Kb7uns

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #5  
You don't have the blades on upside down do you?

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #6  
I have the 54" ground contact model on my B7500 and I don't have this problem . I think it cut fairly well except for the depressed grass from the contact wheels . I normally mow at 2500 rpm in low speed .

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #7  
I had a 7610 with the mmm and it was the same way. Now I have a L3700 with a 6 foot rear mower and it is even worse. I think it is just what happens when you have a high lift deck and a fair amount of blade tip speed/HP. I also have a commercial walk behind and it is a little less but the deck is also only 36" so it may be proportional to the desk size also

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris?
Thanks for the tips and replies. I haven't checked the blades closely as the dealer put a new set on when we bought it used this winter. I'll try mowing at a lower rpm first and see how that does. If no improvement I'll look into some other blades. I should also note that this tractor is used primarily for mowing around the barns/farm and small paddocks so the it's often used at higher settings (3-3.5" or all the way up). Maybe mowing with the deck up higher makes it easier for debris to get out, IDK.

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #9  
Have you tried either mowing at a faster ground speed or idling down the engine.

Commercial grade mowers, like a ZTR or your MMM cut so well and fast becasue of their very high blade tip speed. This generates a lot of lift. By slowing down the engine, you will slow the mower blades down to about the level of your JD265 when you are in ares where the grass is thinner. Or you can go faster over the area. Both should achieve the result of less dust and debris being kicked up.

/ Trouble with Kubota MMM kicking up excessive dust/debris? #10  
I think it is the soil and grass conditions that create the dust problem. I had a commercial walk behind, a Kubota MMM and now a 72" RFM. They all make a lot of dust when I have to make a turn on my driveway that is covered with fine gravel. It is designed to push out a bunch of air and that is what it does. If you raise the deck it will suck in less air from the immediate vicinity of the dirt surface and will reduce dust but will also reduce the lift on the blades of grass under the deck.