truck advice

/ truck advice #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H
We haven't had a truck for a while but increasingly need one. We'll most likely get a late model used truck, no larger than a "half ton". My wife wants to drive it, we live on a narrow road and parking spaces in town are small. I had a GMC C3 (first year of the Denali) for a while and I was comfortable with it's size but don't want much larger than that. Most use will be hauling stuff from the lumber yard and feed store, some commuting.

My Branson with loader and loaded tires weighs about 5800 lbs. Add about 3500 lbs for trailer and you get 9000 to 10,000 lbs. Some "half ton" trucks have a towing capacity that high. I don't expect to tow the tractor anywhere except to the dealer, and that'd only happen for warranty work or repairs that I can't do myself. But renting a truck for the four hour trip each way to drop it off and retrieve it would cost around $1k. So I'm considering getting a "half ton" that'll tow that much.

The question I have is this: we live on a steep road. There's a mile of 9% grade, then a couple miles of lower average grade with some short steep pitches, and the last half mile to the house averages about 14%. The guy who delivered my Branson, box blade and rotary cutter had a brand new diesel Ford and it was rattling and smoking out the hood when he got here, and left a puddle of diesel. Maybe there was something wrong with it or he didn't use a low enough gear but I'm wondering if a 10,000 lb capacity "half ton" could handle doing it a few times.

/ truck advice #2  
When you get to your road put the truck on the trailer and use the tractor to pull it! :drink:

/ truck advice #3  
I personally would look at 3/4 tons also. Keep in mind, they aren't really any bigger than a 1/2 ton in size. They do ride rougher. I'd also get a 1/2 ton if you find one that is rated to tow that much. Diesel is nice but often hard to justify the extra cost. I've had both gas and diesel but have a gas 3/4 ton now because I couldn't justify the exra cost. Its nice having a 3/4 ton and not have to be worrying about overloading it. A 1 ton single rear wheel is nice but very hard to find used.

/ truck advice #4  
Stay away from Cummings diesels unless you can deal with RMS problems. If you want a trouble free truck get a Tundra.

/ truck advice #5  
Stay away from Cummings diesels unless you can deal with RMS problems. If you want a trouble free truck get a Tundra.

Never heard of these "Cummings" you refer to. On the other hand, a Cummins is a dam good motor without the emissions garbage. OP, I really don't see the need for a diesel but You are right on the edge of a 3/4 ton capacity. Realistically you should be fine with a weight distributing hitch and tow/haul.

/ truck advice #6  
3/4 ton you can't go wrong Dodge or Chevy 4x4 also

/ truck advice #7  
Never heard of these "Cummings" you refer to. On the other hand, a Cummins is a dam good motor without the emissions garbage. OP, I really don't see the need for a diesel but You are right on the edge of a 3/4 ton capacity. Realistically you should be fine with a weight distributing hitch and tow/haul.
google RMS problems, Cummings is junk.

/ truck advice #8  
We haven't had a truck for a while but increasingly need one. We'll most likely get a late model used truck, no larger than a "half ton". My wife wants to drive it, we live on a narrow road and parking spaces in town are small. I had a GMC C3 (first year of the Denali) for a while and I was comfortable with it's size but don't want much larger than that. Most use will be hauling stuff from the lumber yard and feed store, some commuting.

My Branson with loader and loaded tires weighs about 5800 lbs. Add about 3500 lbs for trailer and you get 9000 to 10,000 lbs. Some "half ton" trucks have a towing capacity that high. I don't expect to tow the tractor anywhere except to the dealer, and that'd only happen for warranty work or repairs that I can't do myself. But renting a truck for the four hour trip each way to drop it off and retrieve it would cost around $1k. So I'm considering getting a "half ton" that'll tow that much.

The question I have is this: we live on a steep road. There's a mile of 9% grade, then a couple miles of lower average grade with some short steep pitches, and the last half mile to the house averages about 14%. The guy who delivered my Branson, box blade and rotary cutter had a brand new diesel Ford and it was rattling and smoking out the hood when he got here, and left a puddle of diesel. Maybe there was something wrong with it or he didn't use a low enough gear but I'm wondering if a 10,000 lb capacity "half ton" could handle doing it a few times.
For me it would be the 3.5 Eco Boost. I tow similar load, 10,400# with mine and its a great tow rig. That little 3.5 with twin turbos out performs any V8 especially when its Hot and high by maintaining sea level HP upto about 10,000'.

I have a 2012 with 3.73 gears.

/ truck advice #10  
No one "needs" a diesel to pull 10k. They are nice to have but no where near necessary. 3/4 ton on the other hand IMHO is necessary. Folks are over loading these half tons. 3/4 ton will hold up to heavier weights in the long haul. Bigger breaks, axles, suspension, transmissions and trans cooler. If I was you I'd take a long hard look at the 3/4 ton gassers in which ever flavor you like.