Truck rant. And don't know what to do.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #31  
Hay Dude - there were rumblings that Ram would be putting a diesel in the Power Wagon. I haven't checked lately but I don't think it's reality yet.

One thing folks have to understand about the new Power Wagon. It's a completely different suspension setup from the standard Ram 2500. The PW suspension is totally designed for off road adventure. The MAX payload for my 2018 PW is 1800 pounds. It IS NOT designed to be a work truck. My PW rides like a Cadillac in all but the most severe off road conditions. Suspension is doing its job.

I remember the old Dodge Power Wagons. I worked for the Forrest Service - JR & SR summers in high school. We had PW's for fire suppression. They rode like a COB and would carry weight - like a mule. Not the case with the new Power Wagons.
Yep. The 6.7 Cummins will over-torque the transfer case. It has to be torque protected or the engine torque-limited.
Thats why I like the Eco-diesel for the PW. Its diesel, so you get great fuel economy, but you also get good, low RPM torque for off roading. (y)
20+ MPG and a wicked off-roader with an 8’ bed.
Ill take one.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #32  
Had my 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins since brand new. Love it. They have gotten so much better since. Don't hesitate to look at the new ones. The interiors are the best in the full size trucks. Reliability is excellent. My neighbor has a big Ford diesel. Things are going bad on it every other month. GM makes good stuff too. I used to be a Ford freak back in the day but now I step back and look at all of them.... except Ford LOL

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do.
Like has been said - I don't think the truck you are looking for exists.
Then that is a problem with the trucks not my expectations. I don't think it is too much to expect that a truck shouldn't need a new transmission at 40k miles or to roll away while in 'park'. I don't think it is too much to expect that a window on a $50k truck will roll all the way up. But, if you are correct and that is too much to expect then yes, I will be disappointed.

Again, I know that every vehicle will have its quirks and quality issues. My expectation is not perfection. My expectation is that if I spend $50k + on a truck that it not be crap.

Tried to dig a little more into identifying the towing capacity of any given F150. Still appears to be impossible.

Towing capacity on Toyota Tundras with the 5.7 V8 are around 9800 pounds. Easy to tell towing capacity among various models. The towing capacity on my Nissan is 9000 pounds and it tows well.

At this point I'm looking at Tundras.

Ah, I remember something else I do not like with this Titan: The rear diff. It is either totally open or locked. It can only be locked at very low speeds and requires stopping completely. When unlocked the traction control system brakes the spinning wheel. This is terrible in the mud since as soon as it brakes one wheel you lose momentum. I'm not complaining about the locking feature. It can be handy. But the open diff with traction control does not work well in typical off road conditions.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #35  
Never had a pickemuptruck. Always cars, currently a 95 Taurus wagon. Carries lots and lots of stuff, hauls a small trailer fine, but not much more. Been having a number of problems, but it's paid for and it runs most of the time.

Looking casually for something, but would rather have enclosed than open. Suburban, Bronco, etc.

Thing that caught my eye above was mention of a Dodge 3500. Neighbor has a dually (don't know the year) and was helping me haul something on a 16' trailer. On the way back, just a few miles from home, it lost drive in anything but low. Stopped, checked fluids, started out again. It would go until the first shift, then nothing. Limped home the last few miles at 5 to 10MPH. Truck had 80K or something. Had a guy come out to reset some codes, ran OK for a mile, then quit again. Had a rebuilt trans put in it which quit a few weeks later. Had another put in and so far it's been running.

I can't afford that kind of thing. I can't afford much of anything, so whatever I buy has to be all but trouble free. I don't care about styling, I care about running. I need operational and trustworthy, not gizmos. Both of my cars have heat, neither has air. I don't spend enough time on the road to really need either, but it must run without leaving me stranded as both of mine have in the past.

I gotta have something, but it's gotta run without flaw. Yeah, I know, they don't make it.

Ramble off.
The transmission computer has a sensor in the transmission which senses the temperature. it if gets hot, the computer goes to limp home mode, and wont leave first gear.

A freind bought a brand new one. We were in Elko, Nevada. Weekend after he bought it, he and teh wife headed to Salt lake to pick up a shell for the back. Made it about 100- miles, and it went into limp home mode. Went to the dealer got it reset.

Tired again the next weekend. did it again. Back to the dealer. Next weekend same story.

Chrysler sends a guy over from Salt Lake to trouble shoot it, and he follows them back to Salt Lake and it does it again. He plugs in the laptop with special software and it reads that the transmission sensor is sensing that the oil is hot. He clips a thermocouple onto the dip stick and checks the temp. It is barely up to operating temp.

He follows them back to Salt Lake, and they go to the dealers shop. The guy and a mechanic pull the pan, unbolt the sensor and install a new one. Take test drive up to Ogden, stopping to check the dipstick against the sensor a couple of times.

He goes to the shop where he was buying the new shell, they put on one that is color matched to his truck. He started to stop them, because he had paid for a plain white one. Color was an additional 300. Dodge had covered the cost as a thank you for his inconvenience.

Lesson learned: If a modern automatic is dropping into limp home mode, double check the sensor before you replace the tranny. It might be an inexpensive to replace sensor that is bad, and not the transmission itself. Which is why you want your own code reader, to check codes yourself before you take it to a shop. There are a few mechanics out there who are less than honorable, and few who are just not bright. Both will sell you a new transmission without checking to see if he sensor is bad.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #36  
Another option:

A 12 valve dodge diesel with the inline fuel pump and rebuild it with upgraded transmission, suspension parts, seats and so forth.

Don’t know how the cost would compare to a newer PU But if done properly it would make a nice drive and should last for a time.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #37  
Hay Dude - there were rumblings that Ram would be putting a diesel in the Power Wagon. I haven't checked lately but I don't think it's reality yet.

One thing folks have to understand about the new Power Wagon. It's a completely different suspension setup from the standard Ram 2500. The PW suspension is totally designed for off road adventure. The MAX payload for my 2018 PW is 1800 pounds. It IS NOT designed to be a work truck. My PW rides like a Cadillac in all but the most severe off road conditions. Suspension is doing its job.

I remember the old Dodge Power Wagons. I worked for the Forrest Service - JR & SR summers in high school. We had PW's for fire suppression. They rode like a COB and would carry weight - like a mule. Not the case with the new Power Wagons.
Enjoy that ride. I’m guessing they have installed the electronic suspension control system. Which varies teh calving on the shocks based on driving conditions. Theyre great until any one of the shocks, sensors or control computer go bad. Then they are really expensive to repair.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #38  
Then that is a problem with the trucks not my expectations. I don't think it is too much to expect that a truck shouldn't need a new transmission at 40k miles or to roll away while in 'park'. I don't think it is too much to expect that a window on a $50k truck will roll all the way up. But, if you are correct and that is too much to expect then yes, I will be disappointed.

Again, I know that every vehicle will have its quirks and quality issues. My expectation is not perfection. My expectation is that if I spend $50k + on a truck that it not be crap.

Tried to dig a little more into identifying the towing capacity of any given F150. Still appears to be impossible.

Towing capacity on Toyota Tundras with the 5.7 V8 are around 9800 pounds. Easy to tell towing capacity among various models. The towing capacity on my Nissan is 9000 pounds and it tows well.

At this point I'm looking at Tundras.

Ah, I remember something else I do not like with this Titan: The rear diff. It is either totally open or locked. It can only be locked at very low speeds and requires stopping completely. When unlocked the traction control system brakes the spinning wheel. This is terrible in the mud since as soon as it brakes one wheel you lose momentum. I'm not complaining about the locking feature. It can be handy. But the open diff with traction control does not work well in typical off road conditions.
F150 Towing capacities. Search: 2021 F150 towing capacities.

All Ford Light Truck Towing Capacities: Search Ford F-series towing capacities

Last edited:
   / Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #39  
You may want to do some research before you purchase a dodge.
They have had problems with the 5.7, and the 6.4 hemi.

We just rebuilt my son's 6.4 hemi after 115K miles. They have an issue with lifters that fail, and eat the camshaft.

When we rebuilt his engine, we deleted the MDS system, and went with after market lifters, and camshaft. new lifters are non MDS.

I also own a dodge. But it's a 5.9L Cummins with 135K flawless miles

Well, crap. I thought that issue was only on the 5.7. My wife's Durango failed at 99k. Got lucky as it was one of the few years with 100k drive train warranty.

/ Truck rant. And don't know what to do. #40  
Background: I have been a Nissan guy since 1984. Brand loyal all the way. And I've had great cars and trucks along the way. Then, in 2003 it was clear that I needed a full sized 4 door 4wd pick up. Nissan did not make one at that time so I bought a new Ford F150 Super Crew. I was never real happy with it. Steers like a yacht. Bounces and wobbles like a '75 Cadillac Fleetwood. Braking is always questionable. Rear window leaked from the get go. AC went out, to the tune of $1000, with only about 50k miles on it. Fit and trim in the interior is a joke. I still have it. It is my farm truck. Beat to heck but still running and I love it for that.

I replaced it about 4 years ago with a 2015 Nissan Titan 4 door Pro-4x model that I bought used with low miles. It has been an absolute turd. I love how it tows and it has great torque. Steers well. Brakes okay. But, transmission had to be replaced because it would roll away in 'Park' and would frequently not allow the truck to start because it 'thought' it wasn't in 'Park'. Entire head unit/nav had to be replaced because the volume and several other switches quit working. Its got a cacophony of squeaks and rattles. I mean bad. The interior trim is garbage. The five speed tranny always up shifts waaay to soon and downshifts waaaay to late. "Tow Mode" does not help with that. The heater switch failed which I fixed myself. The rear diff is leaking. The ride is terrible on anything but smooth interstate. The trim on the driver side window doesn't fit and there is constant wind noise in my left ear. Now the blend doors for the heat and AC have gone bad and my wife and I just rode home from dinner in an expensive truck freezing because of no heat. Because of the nav/head unit being in the way the entire dash has to be removed to replace the little electric motor and lever that moves the blend doors. This has been a known issue with these trucks since 2005 and still is on a 2015.....kind of like leaky rear windows in Fords. The cost of repair? $1000.

So this was the last straw. I have to get rid of this thing....and I usually keep cars until they die or get killed. Am I bashing Nissan? Yes, I think so. But, I've been a loyal customer since 1984....I've owned 10 of them and still have an Infiniti coupe that I love. My track car is an old 350Z. So maybe I have the right? Did I just get a lemon? Maybe. Doesn't matter. I've lost my faith in them.

I know that asking what brand of pickup to buy is probably worse than bringing up politics or religion but at this point I don't even have any idea where to look. Maybe I need to subscribe to Consumer Reports but in years past they did a lousy job of evaluating trucks because they always compared them to cars.

I will buy used. I need 4 doors, 4wd, minimum towing capacity of 8000 pounds. Toyota has always had the quality reputation but also the price tag to go along with it. I'm interested in brand neutral advice. And I know someone is going to tell me they have a Titan that has 600,000 miles on it, gets 40 miles to the gallon and still has that new car smell. I guess that's unavoidable.

I will certainly look at Ford and I did when I was looking to replace my F150. Two things turned me off from the Ford 1) I'm not interested....at all...in the V6 Eco-Boost. 2) It was almost impossible without a VIN to tell the exact towing and gearing specs and trim levels on Fords at that time and even then it was questionable. So I gave up.

Anyway, open to sage advice. And thanks for listening to the rant. I feel better already........but that might be the bourbon.
I ditched pickups when we had our 2nd child. Find an old Suburban in good shape. Drop a couple thousand in it to bring it back to a tight suspension and good brakes, and drive it for 10 years. They have good towing capacity, very comfortable, and quite dependable. They'll hold 4x8 sheets with the seats folded down. Longer if you get the tailgate VS the ambulance doors (I prefer ambulance doors). We coupled that with an 18' car hauler trailer with low sideboards when needed and it's fit the bill for us.