Truck Size to transport

/ Truck Size to transport #1  

ironman1952

Bronze Member
Tractor
2023 Kioti RX7320pccb
I know there are some posts on transport c=vehicles but would like your thoughts.
Facts:
Kioti RX7320. Loader, Back tires loaded. So I was told the total tractor weight is about 9200lbs

I purchased a Big Tex tilt trailer 22’

I am looking to sell my truck which is a f150 4X4 and am considering what to get. To pull this combination.

I thought about either a f250 or Ram 2500. But then thought it might be a bit light. So I have also been looking at the F350 or the Ram 3500. Both in the 4X4 model in crew cab.

Not enough truck or too much?????
Thanks, Joe

/ Truck Size to transport #2  
We have a 2021 RAM 2500 with 6.4L Hemi and it is rated to tow up to 17,000 and has a GVWR of 9,999 lbs. We tow a 20' trailer rated at 14,000 lbs so CDL is not needed. The RAM pulls that trailer fully loaded with ease. A F350 or RAM 3500 might put you in CDL territory depending on what your trailer is rated for.

/ Truck Size to transport #3  
There are several more factors other than the weight of the tractor that would determine the size kind of truck you need. They might include such things as how often are you going to tow it? How far are you going to tow it? Are you towing it as a farmer or is this a commercial enterprise? What attachments do you need when you’re moving the tractor? A big rotary cutter can get heavy quickly. Do you need the truck as a tow vehicle only or is going to be a daily driver?

Another consideration would be the insurance cost for the vehicle. I have a personal GMC dually that cost me about $200 a month to insure. My GMC dually that I use commercially cost me over $230 a week to insure.

It might not be as convenient, but in the long run, it may be cheaper to hire someone to move the tractor for you.

As far as truck specs to tote such a heavy tractor, I would be looking at a 1 ton truck with dual rear wheels. I often haul a load in the 6 to 10 pound range on a gooseneck trailer. The three-quarter ton truck I had would do it, but the one dually does it much better.

/ Truck Size to transport #4  
If I was towing everyday I’d probably get a dually but towing 9200 pounds plus the trailer is well within a 3/4 tons towing capacity.

/ Truck Size to transport
Great points
I will be towing infrequently
to my daughters home in Ephrata, so about 150 miles one way
Possibly a 20’+ truss boom, rock bucket, I dont have many attachments at this point.

You’re probably right about the 3/4 ton being sufficient. Insurance consideration is also important. I have another vehicle so not a daily driver. I manage a mobile home park so I drive in the park a bit but not enough for it to be a real issue.

I have my own trailer as i dont want to have to schedule in advance with another individual to move, too inconvenient.

/ Truck Size to transport #6  
Better to have to much truck than too much trailer. I went from a single wheel 1 ton to a dually and it didnt bother me. I won't go back from a dually.

Also recommended a work bed/flat bed. Wont ever go back to a regular truck bed

/ Truck Size to transport #7  
Better to have to much truck than too much trailer. I went from a single wheel 1 ton to a dually and it didnt bother me. I won't go back from a dually.

Also recommended a work bed/flat bed. Wont ever go back to a regular truck bed
Are you looking new or used? If used, the flat bed or utility bed trucks can be Significantly cheaper then the regular truck bed, on the used market.

/ Truck Size to transport #8  
I know there are some posts on transport c=vehicles but would like your thoughts.
Facts:
Kioti RX7320. Loader, Back tires loaded. So I was told the total tractor weight is about 9200lbs

I purchased a Big Tex tilt trailer 22’

I am looking to sell my truck which is a f150 4X4 and am considering what to get. To pull this combination.

I thought about either a f250 or Ram 2500. But then thought it might be a bit light. So I have also been looking at the F350 or the Ram 3500. Both in the 4X4 model in crew cab.

Not enough truck or too much?????
Thanks, Joe
Need to know whether this will be a new truck or a used truck? Towing weights have increased considerably.

What does your Bix Tex trailer weigh empty? What is your trailer’s GVWR?
Lets say it weighs 3500. Add your 9200 and you’re at 12,700. Best to have a trailer with 14,000GVWR to stay legal with your 9200lb payload.
Get a newer 3/4-1 ton SRW for occasional towing and you’ll be fine.
If it’s a real old truck, like 20+ years old, you might need a dually.

/ Truck Size to transport #9  
What's the GVW of the trailer? Add that to the GVW of whatever trucks you're looking at. If the number is higher than 26,000, you need a CDL to tow it legally. Which means, if you don't have a CDL, you can legally tow a larger trailer with a 2500 than with a 3500.

/ Truck Size to transport
The trailer weighs about 3500. It’s a 14k trailer
I cant afford a new truck so it will definitely be used.
Either a Ford F250 or a Ram 2500

Wont be towing real often.