Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #102  
I'm sure we all agree to the total weight. (y) I kind reacted to one of those right/wrong things between members.

Still think the weight doesn't matter much. IMO that just wasn't the right truck to tow 2x its own weight, esp in that condition. (rough, apparently ... got tires?)
I can't imagine any company hiring an unlicensed driver, putting him in a apparently privatly owned much too small of a truck with no licensing, no permits, no oversize load signs, no pilot cars etc. and sending him across the country to haul a boat of any size. My guess is, Mr. and Mrs, Ford truck owner made a killer deal on a 42' boat and hired Roney Gonzalez to haul it back to Florida for them. Or Mr. Gonzales heard of a job hauling a boat to Florida and borrowed/rented the pickup and trailer from people he knew. With the truck, trailer and the driver being out of Florida, those are about the only scenarios that fits the narrative.

Last edited:
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #103  
From just my little bit of investigating, I can see that this event is going to uncover a hell of a big can of worms for some of the named parties. There are red flags everywhere from Big Leyva Transport Service.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #104  
Quote from the Carson Now article cited above.
"NHP says suspected brake failure is likely the cause of the fiery Nov. 9 crash at the intersection of I-580, South Carson Street and Highway 50, also known as Spooner Junction. Part of the brake failure was due to the weight load being carried, according to NHP. The truck and trailer weigh approximately 38,000 pounds."
Now that makes more sense.

Truck. 10k. Trailer, 8k. Boat, 20k.

But I don't know how they'd weigh it at the scene. Yeah, I know Troopers got those portable scales but they wouldn't work under these circumstances.

What I think happened was the Trooper just threw the GVWR's together and came up with the 38k number.

Truck, 14,000 GVWR, Boat trailer, 24,000 GVWR.

Voila! 38k!!

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #105  
But I don't know how they'd weigh it at the scene. Yeah, I know Troopers got those portable scales but they wouldn't work under these circumstances.
I am sure that is where some of the wild numbers came from, estimates based on vin tags and so forth. Reporter asks one question information officer answers another, reporter interprets the answer according to their understanding. I believe I saw claims of a 37,000# boat, an 8,000# trailer and a 10,000# truck for a 55,000 total.
They have now had opportunity to weigh everything and provide actual weights of the trailer/boat and the pickup/driver/and load (if any). They've also had opportunity to do a thorough inspection of both vehicles.
This story is likely to disappear from even the Carson City news (or already has) unless some shocking details are learned. The only ones who likely see any further revelations will be the legal authorities and the injured victims and the family of the fatalities.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #106  
I am sure that is where some of the wild numbers came from, estimates based on vin tags and so forth. Reporter asks one question information officer answers another, reporter interprets the answer according to their understanding. I believe I saw claims of a 37,000# boat, an 8,000# trailer and a 10,000# truck for a 55,000 total.
They have now had opportunity to weigh everything and provide actual weights of the trailer/boat and the pickup/driver/and load (if any). They've also had opportunity to do a thorough inspection of both vehicles.
This story is likely to disappear from even the Carson City news (or already has) unless some shocking details are learned. The only ones who likely see any further revelations will be the legal authorities and the injured victims and the family of the fatalities.

Well, the jorno got their "Holy ****!" story out of it. Time to move on.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #107  
Well, the jorno got their "Holy ****!" story out of it. Time to move on.

Again, the journalists didn't hype up anything. The stories were as accurate as the information given to them by the authorities. They didn't come up with the details. Law enforcement did.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #108  
Now that makes more sense.

Truck. 10k. Trailer, 8k. Boat, 20k.

What I think happened was the Trooper just threw the GVWR's together and came up with the 38k number.

Truck, 14,000 GVWR, Boat trailer, 24,000 GVWR.

Voila! 38k!!
I see you're doubling down on your doubt.
The evidence is right in front of your eyes yet you're seething and trying to convince others that your first statements of journalistic failure are right.
popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #109  
This is neither the time nor the place to discuss how bad the media has gotten over the years.
Isn't that what everyone of your posts in this thread has been about. Lol.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #110  
And that makes it bad reporting? It makes it inaccurate statement from the police (maybe) at best, but has nothing to do with the reporting.

When you write a news story, you report what the authorities tell you as fact as they know it at the time. And you quote sources. "The source said it weighed 37K" I the reporter didn't say that. The source said that. If things don't add up amongst multiple sources, then you dig deeper if your editor tells you to.

I worked at a newspaper for 30 years, so I know a little bit about writing news stories. There was no bad reporting in that story.
In today’s world reports don’t follow the same rules of yesteryear. They make up things and then say that So and so said!
If your looking for facts from a newspaper you need to go to the library and read some very old newspapers.