Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #142  
Yeah, driver doesn't matter. You can't take that much load down a 2300 ft vertical descent with no brakes. It's straight downhill from lake tahoe.
actually not straight, a number of curves, some slightly off camber. I drive it too fast. The other side towards Tahoe is much straighter down.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #143  
ramp.png

Bruce

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #145  
You are a key witness. Do your duty and volunteer to comment to the NHP.
good point, i'll touch base but i think they have plenty for prosecution. Turns out there are two runway ramps on the pass that he went by.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #146  
as i pointed out earlier, he was not speeding when i passed him 2x, the last about 2 miles from the accident. I will say it was a "huge" effing boat, I smelled brakes and i got the hell out of the way fast!
I'm just curious, did he have any pilot cars, oversize load signage, or was it just a boat on a trailer?

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #147  
   / Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #148  
good point, i'll touch base but i think they have plenty for prosecution. Turns out there are two runway ramps on the pass that he went by.
I don't think having enough for prosecution is enough of a criteria. Not my business but I think you have key eyewitness evidence of the overall circumstance probably not available from any other source. Everyone in a large significant case like this is going to feel more like they have closure with your report added to the entirety. Not a matter of obtaining a conviction, making a case or defending anyone ... just a more complete picture. In your shoes I would feel responsible to come forward and I feel certain the police and legal people on all sides would appreciate it. Just my view. "Touching base" as you said is the right thing to do.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #149  
Kind of amazing that the boat stayed on the trailer, and didn't flip or tip over.
Looks to me that the 5 axles strongly resist change in direction and the boat & trailer probably tore the pintle right off of the truck when it went sideways and the trailer just plowed mostly straight on through.

/ Truck towing overloaded kills, driver gets felony charges. #150  
Looks to me that the 5 axles strongly resist change in direction and the boat & trailer probably tore the pintle right off of the truck when it went sideways and the trailer just plowed mostly straight on through.
I pulled a four axle trailer for years and all of them had at least one axle that turned, some spring loaded on king pins, some some with a front turntable. When they didn't due to mechanical failure they resisted turning quite a bit. None of our 3 axle trailers had a turning axle but all of the four axle did.