Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #331  
In formative, easy to follow, but I already pretty much understand that and know certain states have different laws how it all comingles with federal and other states is confusing for me anyway especially when your no longer driving commercially, have a valid class A with farm endorsement minus the med card. So if I drive across state lines, or out of radius intrastate with farm endorsement 26k+ non commercially would I get the book thrown at me probably, I also understand if I don't renew my class A I'll probably never bother to or qualify medically to get it back. So all endorsements, experience, and training I received to get it would be for nothing for me anyway maybe just funny fodder for others. Anyways I've had it for 20 yrs last job I had with it was working for a county in WI plowing where for some reason state law didn't require dot physical for municipalities in intrastate use as said earlier from what I've studied and read up on I can't legally work intrastate or even get a valid chauffer lic in MI without getting fed med card, but can legally keep farm endorsement with out it. Apologies for drift.
in CA at least, and I believe Federally as well it is pretty cut and dry, any bumper pull trailer with a GVWR over 10K, or any 5th wheel(not gooseneck) over 12.5K GVWR Requires a Class A CDL with very few exceptions. As to what a LEO will cite you for is a totally different deal.

Class A*: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #332  
in CA at least, and I believe Federally as well it is pretty cut and dry, any bumper pull trailer with a GVWR over 10K, or any 5th wheel(not gooseneck) over 12.5K GVWR Requires a Class A CDL with very few exceptions. As to what a LEO will cite you for is a totally different deal.

Class A*: Any combination of vehicles which has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) whichever is greater

The keyword in all of that being COMMERCIAL motor vehicle. The FMCSA does not govern person use vehicles and never has. This is where people get confused.

Again, the debate 99% of the time is NOT about GVWR's and weights, and what "class" of CDL to get. Everyone knows the 26000lb rule. The debate is if it applies to private/personal use. And that seems to vary by state

When people debate......"do I need a CDL for _____truck pulling a _______trailer".....there are often two parts to the equation.
Part 1 is ARE YOU COMMERCIAL.......
Part 2 is determing if the combination meets the requirements for a CDL and if so what class.
Everyone seems to skip part 1

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #333  
I think if you review this flow chart
which has more to do with ELD for horse haulers that the FMCSA feels you need a CDL and and ELD If either your truck or Trailer exceed either 10K GVWR OR GVW

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #334  
I think if you review this flow chart
which has more to do with ELD for horse haulers that the FMCSA feels you need a CDL and and ELD If either your truck or Trailer exceed either 10K GVWR OR GVW
Pretty much exactly what I said.....

First stipulation of what you just linked word for word
  1. Is the vehicle being used for a non-commercial purpose, such as taking a personally owned animal to a show when the underlying business is unrelated?
If YES, a CDL is NOT required.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #335  
I was behind 2 20-something girls in a dually cummins pulling a very large horse trailer with living quarters. I’d say in CDL country on more than one count. They ran the trailer tires over a curb while making a turn and couldn’t pass a skateboarding license test, not to mention a class A CDL.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #336  
No that is not correct. the magic number is 26,000lbs single or combination. If combination the trailer has to be 10,001lbs or more. 10,000lbs or less then the trailer does not count to you license. Weights are based on typically 2 things, the vehicles GVWR or actual whichever is greatest. That is the federal requirement which most States go by. Some States add in registered weight in addition to those. I know Ford a few years back tried to put a GCWR (gross combination weight rating) on their trucks. This is not acceptable for determining license class required. I'm not sure if Ford still puts that on their trucks.
As far as farm plates go States have found that they were being abused and clarified who can and cannot use them. The Feds also changed the definition of a farm vehicle to Covered Farm Vehicle. Only a CFV is exempt from the CDL requirements.
As somebody said further down, Texas has a special exemption for farmers where as long as the trailer is under 20K the combination can be over 26K and still be legal without a CDL.

I’ll check it out, but any trailer that can haul 14k is going to at least take a 4k trailer so your truck needs a tow rating of at least 18k. Now I’m talking of only bumper pull, I have stuff in bed that keeps me from using gooseneck. My srw f350 is rated for 21k bumper.
@EddieWalker here is one that couldwork: Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more
102" wide, 25' deck, should weigh around 4200#, rated for 16,000# on the axles, so as long as your truck can handle around 2500-3000# on the gooseneck hitch you could haul your 14k backhoe on it and be just under max weight.
Looks like many of the F250/F350s can be setup to tow a 16k trailer with capacity for 2-3200# of tongue weight (15-20%) while staying under 26k GVWR if you want to not be as restricted in your driving:
2022 F250 5th wheel/gooseneck towing specs:
Screenshot_20230202-193418-297.png
2022 F350 5th wheel/gooseneck towing specs:
Screenshot_20230202-193452-202.png

Are you sure you could not be more wrong. Key word is “commerce”.

FMCSA

“As previously explained in FMCSA’s regulatory guidance for § 383.3, question 6, drivers of vehicles used strictly for non-business purposes do not need a CDL unless the state of licensure requires it.”
Which many States including New York do, here are the rules for New York license classes:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/repository/Driver License Classes.pdf

Screenshot_20230202-194446-780~2.png

In New York, without a CDL or farm exemptions you can drive:
1. A vehicle with a GVWR of 26k or less.
2. A vehicle with a GVWR of 26k or less towing a trailer with a GVWR of 10k or less.
3. A combination of vehicles with a trailer that has a GVWR of more than 10k IF the combined GCWR is less than 26k.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #337  
I was behind 2 20-something girls in a dually cummins pulling a very large horse trailer with living quarters. I’d say in CDL country on more than one count. They ran the trailer tires over a curb while making a turn and couldn’t pass a skateboarding license test, not to mention a class A CDL.

I’ve said for a long time that there shouldn’t be any exemptions for farm or private RV. Unfortunately regardless of their driving ability those girls were perfectly legal to drive that.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #338  
In the state of Florida, you do not need to go to a driving school to obtain a CDL. If you are driving for yourself, you can get the manual from the DMV and take the test. The gray area comes when you try to drive for somebody else, and need the CDL, there is a requirement for driving school, but it applies when you want to drive for somebody else not your own vehicle.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #339  
In the state of Florida, you do not need to go to a driving school to obtain a CDL. If you are driving for yourself, you can get the manual from the DMV and take the test. The gray area comes when you try to drive for somebody else, and need the CDL, there is a requirement for driving school, but it applies when you want to drive for somebody else not your own vehicle.
Apparently you missed the new Fed rules for a CDL.
Which includes:
Step 2: Complete Entry-Level Driver Training
Drivers applying for a Class A or Class B CDL for the first time who are issued a CLP on or after February 7, 2022 must complete entry-level driver training with a registered training provider prior to testing. Some States may have additional requirements above and beyond the Federal training requirements.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #340  

Not federally. If it was federally all states would have to follow it. We follow basic fed guidelines here. A state can only make the cdl laws more stringent(for their own residents only, not out of towner driving through).