Truck VS Tree

/ Truck VS Tree #11  
Wal,

I think I would wrap the chain around the ball rather than us the saftey chain points. I am thinking that if you make a running start that the saftey chain hook points may not take it. I could be wrong, but I would hate to see you screw up your hitch.

MarkV

/ Truck VS Tree #12  
Wal, I've done quite a few alder tree stumps the way you are describing. The difference though is I have a 1 ton diesel which has more torque to work with and alder trees somewhat weaker in the root system. I've done maples though too and are probably equivelant to an oak. Anyway, my recommendation from what I found works best is to have your pulling stump higher than 3'. I'd leave mine around 5-6' and chainsaw yourself a notch on the backside to keep your chain from slipping down. I also found it works best if you can have some firewood or other weight in the bed which helps the pulling...especially if you can go downhill. When all hooked up and ready to go, if you put pressure on the chain and give it a slight pulls, you can have a buddy watch from a safe distance to see how it is moving. sometimes this slow rocking will really loosen it up and make it easier. If it still is rock solid though, it'd probably best to give up before doing any damage. I've done about 20 or so of my trees around 8-10"" in diameter and no mishaps so far. Those first few small tugs though will tell you what your in for.

/ Truck VS Tree #13  
I seriously have my doubts,like Bird said try it and find out,but be careful,you will probably need some weight in the bed if you want to even have a chance of success,I have pulled a lot of stuff with a pickup 4x4,you might manage to get a 3'' sappling out of the ground,but a 6 " I do not think so,You would be ahead to hire a dozer to come in and do the job in about an hour or two at the most.A two wheel drive pickup is likely to set there and smoke the tires.A 4x4 you could damage your driveshaft(like I did one time).

/ Truck VS Tree #14  
I'll tell you my experience doing what you are thinking about. I hooked my chain to the drawbar on my Kubota 2910, wrapped the other end around the 5" diameter walnut tree at about 3' off the ground (i had previously cut the tree off at about 4'). I pulled several times and didn't make much progress, so I opened the throttle and got a running start. The chain peeled the bark off the stump, slid up and off the top, and I got a very brief glance at it as it came straight for my head ( it only took an instant to happen). The only thing that saved my life was the chain had to wrap around my boxblade before it could get to me. I promptly coiled the chain up and put it away, then checked my shorts for skid marks. The stump still sits there mocking me as I drive past it. This fall when they start building our house, I will have the last laugh as I let the backhoe operator rip it out.

Revenge is sweet !!

Joe W.

/ Truck VS Tree #15  
You are crazy (you asked). It does not have any possibility of working, unless you free the stump roots first. Dig down around the stump (at least on the opposite side) and chop the roots off down at least 18 inches. But don't mistreat your truck this way. Those roots are VERY tough, as they had the strength to hold that tree in an upright position. Follow Hillbilly's recommendation, and get the right equipment to do the job.

/ Truck VS Tree #16  
Cut em off short,add 1 small bag charcoal.Burn out the stumps.

/ Truck VS Tree #17  
Wal,
I've done what you describe several times using a heavy chain and a come along. But first, as several have suggested, get your ax and a shovel & cut as many of the roots growing out from the base as you can. You'll have to dig a bit to expose them. I've taken down larger trees than 6". Some were in the 12"+ range. Also, I leave the tree intact when I do this. I'll throw a rope up as high as I can into the crown of the tree & get it tangled up there - - with enough roots cut, you can sometimes pull the tree over by rocking it by pulling on the other end of the rope - - without using the chain & come along.
If you can't tell, I don't have a tractor yet, either. Someday.

/ Truck VS Tree #18  
When I was a kid, we were out four wheeling in the Jeep, and came across a guy that had stuck his 2wd toyota. He asked for a pull, and my Dad said sure, no problem. The guy already had a chain attached. My Dad securely attached the other end of the chain to the Jeep, and gave the guy a tug. Presto! Off came the Toy bumper!

Always use a frame connection, never th bumper, or spring hanger...Unless, of course, you don't like the bumper you have...

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Truck VS Tree #19  
Don\'t hook chain to trailer ball!

I have read here, and in 4x4 magazines, to never, never, never ever hook a chain around a ball hitch and pull. Apparently, althought they can support a lot of wieght, they do not have much shear strength, and will bust. Maybe one of our resident engineers could elaborate...

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Truck VS Tree #20  
Re: Don\'t hook chain to trailer ball!

It's the bending that causes the problems. Much better off using the pin to hold the chain in the receiver. Or much much better still use a strap. Chains are evil things.