Truck winches

/ Truck winches
I've only had 3 winches (other than little atv type) and they were all Ramsey's. 1 electric, 1 pto and 1 hydraulic. The mechanical PTO was my favorite but I imagine that your right about it being a nightmare if not impossible to get to the front bumper with a driveshaft. I missed it if you mentioned what drives (12v or hyd) the Ramsey that you're looking at?
If you have any other uses for hydraulics on your truck or trailer(s), you'd be Mr. Cool in my book having a "wet line" on a lighter truck than usually seen on.
That is if this 15k Ramsey is hyd.

The Ramsey is a basic 12V electric I found on FBM. I want to keep it simple on the Ram, even though I have a PTO on the side of the Aisin doing exactly nothing.
Would like to utilize it, but I have my $ limitations.
I would think a hydraulic pump, tank, lines and winch would be over 5 grand.
Although much nicer, it’s not worth that much over a Ramsey or Sherpa 12V.

/ Truck winches
Well, realistically you shouldn't need any parts or warranty no matter what. Unless you buy a HF winch or the equivalent.

Yes, I have broken winches, but that was during testing on a dyno. Many of them broke the cable, but a couple did indeed break.
Another nice thing about the Ramsey is made in Tulsa, OK.

/ Truck winches
Should be doable with a double acting solenoid valve and remote setup but likely fab it yourself or $$$$$
I’m fine with the 15’ wired-in lead.

I’m more stuck between buying the Ramsey 15K @ $1,000 versus a new Sherpa 25K @ $2,000.

My truck weighs 11K unloaded. I’d prefer a bigger winch, but 15K leaves me 4K for some rolling resistance from being stuck in mud.

Also probably enough for the average 20” diameter fallen log I want to winch out of the woods?

/ Truck winches #135  
I’m fine with the 15’ wired-in lead.

I’m more stuck between buying the Ramsey 15K @ $1,000 versus a new Sherpa 25K @ $2,000.

My truck weighs 11K unloaded. I’d prefer a bigger winch, but 15K leaves me 4K for some rolling resistance from being stuck in mud.

Also probably enough for the average 20” diameter fallen log I want to winch out of the woods?
Remember 15k applies only at single wind layer on the spool. Double/triple wind the rating drops off sharply. Not very many winching situations in my experience have the luxury of having your anchor point exactly placed at the optimal single wind cable distance. On the other hand, the 15k is likely to wind faster

/ Truck winches #136  
HD are your self recovery situations mostly getting out of the field with the g/n loaded and it's just a little too greasy?

/ Truck winches
HD are your self recovery situations mostly getting out of the field with the g/n loaded and it's just a little too greasy?
Good points and good question.
Usually I have a tractor for that situation, since I am loading hay on the trailer in the field. So usually I just chain-up and pull the Ram & trailer to dry ground with loader tractor. Very easy.

The front winch I want for the Ram would probably be used more for log recovery and maybe occasionally for getting the Ram unstuck when no tractor available.

Basically, I want the winch to pull out logs where I don’t want to drive tractor and maybe for an occassional stuck truck.

/ Truck winches #138  
The front winch I want for the Ram would probably be used more for log recovery and maybe occasionally for getting the Ram unstuck when no tractor available.
The latter opens up a new series of questions...what would you use for anchor points?

I pictured more open terrain, but maybe you're largely surrounded by trees.

/ Truck winches #139  
I imagined that your tractor would be close by in that situation. Hayfields are usually hurting for a winch attachment point.

/ Truck winches #140  
While I don't know anything about your operations other than here on TBN, for the storm cleanup and similar woods work I'd think about finding a deal on a Milemarker or other hydraulic winch and put something together for a tractor 3pt. You already have a complete "wet line" on the back of all your tractors. Put a grapple on the front and you have a farmer skidder.;)
I built this for my firewood and I mainly cut 12" or less diameter.
20240205_111550.jpg

20240205_111537.jpg

20240205_111618.jpg

A simple winch and maybe a little extension for a removed by a couple of feet fairlead for better wire spooling/unspooling. All the other do dads are handy but a little pricey.
I doubt if you'd loose any money if you decided to sell it. There's not many out there making them commercially.
(That's only a 8000# winch FYI)